My Dad's Honda Big Red 250...

My dad emailed me asking me some questions about his three wheeler. I am not sure I know where would be a good site to send him too.. i figured maybe some of you all might know or be able to help me direct him as to what might be going on with his bike.

This is what he said his bike is doing:

"Cleaned the carb on Big Red 3-wheeler.

Starts--but has trouble.

The engine sounds like it is missing. The hesitation is preceded by a clunk and pfft-sound. It was doing this last summer but is worse now.

Does this sound like a valve problem?

It doesn't occur with every engine stroke, only every 5-10 seconds, so I doubt valves...

The timing appears ok with the timing light.

It is apparently electronic--there are no points. Could the electronic ignition module be the problem? How often do they go out?

Ideas???"

I figured his fuel could be bad, running a fuel filter would be prevent junk that was in tank from plugging the carb again etc. He is insistant he has the carb clean and the fuel is fine.. I was wondering if he had let it sit for ahwile and the rings and piston dried out (oil drained out) and then went to start it with out droping some oil in the cylinders if it would have messed the piston rings up or something? I told him i would have to come look at it.. but then again i am not a super mechanic on bikes either lol.

I replied to him with some simple maintenance things as i am sure the bike sits a lot.. however he does live on some land so he might ride it more now.. dont know. I do know looking at the basics first is a good palce to start :).

He replied back:

"I had already cleaned the carb--it was dirty but didn't change the pfft sound and the missed firing.

Same with the plug--new one. Same situation.

New filter last year and not used much.

Don't think its is the fuel because it was doing this last year also.

Most noticable at low speed. The engine probably inertia's through the missing at highter speeds.

I think I'll wait until you arrive. I don't want to blow a hear or drop a valve.

In-line fuel filter would be a good idea.

Thanks for the info."

Thanks for any help :).

I hope somebody can tell you what the problem is because my KLT 185 started doing that about a month ago when I cleaned out the air filter. I thought it was an air leak or blown gasket and sprayed carb cleaner all over the place and couldnt figure it out.