My CR500 Blaster

CR500Blaster

Jan 16, 2011
I thought you guys might get a kick out of my Blaster with a CR500 engine. I just finished it about a week ago. I'm working the bugs out before I tear it back down to paint the frame. I put a 6" stretch into the swing arm and hydrolic rear brakes. The motor is a 1.5mm over '86 Honda CR500. It has race porting, custom intake, custom pipe, 44mm Mikuni carb running on 110 race gas.
http://picasaweb.google.com/116104423207244265134/CR500BlasterPics#[/URL]

I hope the link works. Its my first time posting.

I thought you guys might get a kick out of my Blaster with a CR500 engine. I just finished it about a week ago. I'm working the bugs out before I tear it back down to paint the frame. I put a 6" stretch into the swing arm and hydrolic rear brakes. The motor is a 1.5mm over '86 Honda CR500. It has race porting, custom intake, custom pipe, 44mm Mikuni carb running on 110 race gas.
http://picasaweb.google.com/116104423207244265134/CR500BlasterPics#[/URL]

I hope the link works. Its my first time posting.

nope!! try again!! haha. sounds purdy cool, we have a few other guys doing big motor swaps, look aroudn some mabey you guys can help each other

here this link works..............................

Picasa Web Albums - Greg Thomas - CR 500 Blaste...

and welcome bro,
oh sh*t, its a watercooled cr motor, looks like some nice work, whats with that pipe, where'd the big expansion chamber go ???
wonder if thats hurting the performance ???, seems the pipes are the biggest deal to get these hybrids to work right

Thanks for posting the working link.
The pipe does have an expansion chamber. It looks different from what you are used to seeing for a couple of reasons: its hand fabricated so it doesn't have the drastic bends that you get with the stamped prefab pipes. It has the silencer built in to the last 18". That way you don't have to deal with mounting yet another piece. The wide part of the pipe is just under the left foot peg.
This was not an easy swap. The swing arm mount is wider on the CR and uses a smaller bolt. The front sprocket won't line up with the stock location rear sprocket. The frame has to be modified for fitment and strength. And a hundred other little things.
I found out right away that the axle I used wasn't strong enough. You will see in one of the pics that it bent... Ouch! I'm working on a new design now.

good stuff greg, keep us posted
also, dont know if that pic service your using has IMG. codes, but if so, you can copy them, paste them in your post here, and your pic will show up here, if not try using tinypic.com

What kind of axle did you use?

The rear sprocket size seems small. Is that the corrected ratio for the difference in tire diameters?

The pipe looks top notch for handmade! If I were going to go out of frame, I would go up and beside the foot peg (like the out of frame drag pipes) just for ground clearance but simply a personal choice. Is the length of the pipe correct from exhaust port to tip of the convergent section?

14ux275.jpg

1493529.jpg

2gtn82b.jpg

16hiufl.jpg

I have had the CR 500 motor on a race kart for several years. I posted a pic above showing what it looked like with duel 34mm carbs, running on methanol. I decided I don't have enough life insurance for that. We already have one Blaster running on alcohol. We added a second fuel tank and it will burn 5 gallons of fuel in like 45min. Not fun on trail rides.
The gear ratio you see in the picture is way too high. I didn't have the sprockets in yet, so I used what I had. It was going like 40mph in 1st with that gear. The new gears are 13-38. That should be close.
The axle is a 1.5" kart axle. I've got a chromoly replacement and I'm doing a total redesign of the swing arm. I'll post some new pics as it comes along.
We made the pipe by copying a custom pipe I had made in Texas. That way you don't have to go through the physics and math. I had to go under the foot peg to avoid changing the length from the template pipe. Shape changes are ok dimension changes... might not be ok. The length of the head pipe is so critical to engine tune and cooling.

lopokslike the caliper, and OMG i love it i want that motor sao bad, how are the vibes in the quad frame, the blasters are more designed like a bike so it shouldnt be horrible but anything crack?

lopokslike the caliper, and OMG i love it i want that motor sao bad, how are the vibes in the quad frame, the blasters are more designed like a bike so it shouldnt be horrible but anything crack?

No cracks yet. I went over the whole frame double welding and strengthening everything. The motor mounts are all 1/4 inch plate steel. The CR500 is famous for vibrating. It is true, the vibration is nearly unbearable. In my opinion its a small price to pay for insane power. That being said, I'm sure it will crack sooner or later. That's what we have the mig for, right.

No cracks yet. I went over the whole frame double welding and strengthening everything. The motor mounts are all 1/4 inch plate steel. The CR500 is famous for vibrating. It is true, the vibration is nearly unbearable. In my opinion its a small price to pay for insane power. That being said, I'm sure it will crack sooner or later. That's what we have the mig for, right.
I totally agree man, ive been trying to find a good cr motor for so long because that would be awsome, m planning on building a chromoly frame around mine and do as much as possible to make er not crack and since the blaster frame actually surrounds the motor, it is the best choice framewise, looks good, keep us updated man

I want to thank Blaster Forum for lots of good info. And I couldn't have done it without my buddy Jeremy who did the Tig work, fabbed the intake and helped with the rest.