MX Hybrid Build

So here is the start. In some of my other post I mentioned that I got a few blasters a little while back. One im building MX and the other Drag I will be doing both at the same time as I come across parts here and there. Im gonna try to keep the MX build under 1000 dollars but it will deff be different than your everyday blaster. The first thing I will be doing is a YFZ 450 plastic conversion. If anyone is interested in the yfz plastics i can do a walk through if not im not gonna do it step by step. Just let me know because im starting that part tomorrow. I plan on doing a complete YFZ 450 front end theres already a write up on that so ill just take before and after pics at that stage. Ill build from scratch a round carrier swingarm . Not sure on the rear shock. My wife's predator has a pretty nice shock that's fully adjustable and they are cheap. Anyone run one of these on theirs. Heres a pic of what im starting with the green frame will be the drag and the chassis behind it is the MX hybrid
IMG_20111121_163950.jpg

I pick up a yfz450 chassis off my cousin that he had been rolled today for 50 dollars. The frame was thrashed and broke but I can still use alot of stuff off of it. Im gonna use the yfz seat and rear plastics. I decided to use the YFZ subframe also. Today I cut the old subframe off which weighs 4 more pounds than the stock one. The YFZ gas tank is way to wide and long to work with the blaster frame. I cut the bottom out of it so I can get a good fit for the frame. Im just gonna fab up a fuel cell to fit inside the plastic gas tank cell. Im also gonna make the steering stem a little bit taller. I did a dry fit to get an Idea of what it will look like and I think it is gonna come out pretty good.IMG_20111122_114030.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20111122_115018.jpg
    IMG_20111122_115018.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 216
this is getting way more "hydrid" than our usual engine swap
tuned in !!!!!!

Got a little progress done . I pretty much have to sneak into the garage with the list of other stuff I have going on. The most time consuming thing on this project has been just staring at it trying to get all the pieces to fit. Anyways I figured I would work from the front to the rear. Got the hood all mounted up here are a few pics of the process. I made the front mounts from a small piece of scrap round bar and a washer from my bolt bin. For the rear hood mounts I drilled a hole in the frame just big enough for a nut to fit into, welded it up an easy as that got the hood on. One of the plasic mounts was broke from the donor chassis being rolled but its still really sturdy. Ill patch it up with epoxy. Here are a few pics.
Rear hood mount
View attachment 4977
And both mounts
IMG_20111123_132154.jpg

i like it, looks like you have the "cool ideas" covered

a yz 250 motor would make this thing insane not a kx or rm or..... YAMAHA ALL OUT from diffrent yamaha bikes ,quads the ultimate hybrid ,but looking really cool tho DEF

Got to work on it for a few minutes this morning. I got the right side Sub frame mount tacked togather. It kinda looks like ass right now but it will come out pretty good when Im done. Thats what I love about metal easy to work with. Here is a pic of the mount[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attachments

• IMG_20111124_100540.jpg
    IMG_20111124_100540.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_20111124_101055.jpg
    IMG_20111124_101055.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_20111124_101112.jpg
    IMG_20111124_101112.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 31
Evil Elvis I deff could have used an extra hand when I was doing that last step. Maybe we can have a man date and knock the a arms out. I can do it by myself but its always good to have an extra hand , and brain. PGH I am gonna do the YZ swap I agree it would be badass to try to incorperate all the Yamaha quads into it. I have some nerf bars from my Raptor when I had it set up for MX ill throw those on too. So far only have 50 dollars into this entire project I think its not bad.