Motor locked up

barnold

Jan 15, 2012
lyons kansas
I was just riding my blaster when it started making a weird noise and then it died on me, I went to kick start it and it wont let me kick down its stuck what do i do now?

I'd pull the jug look for scars n pour kerosene in the bottom end and work the crank n dump it as you go that will dump any remains outta the bottom end n save you about 900 bucks all around if you have scarstake it to your local shop ask them if it needs a honing or a bore they'll know right off

Lets try and back up a little bit.

Barnold.

I would suggest, not trying to kick it anymore or atempt to free it up.

Take the carb off and the reed cage and look inside and see how the piston looks.

Their are several things that can cause lock ups.

I would suggest, taking the exhaust off and remove the head and the cylinder.

This will help you see what you have and what you will need or the repair journey, you will soon be on.

Sporty

I just took off the exhaust i got a flash light and looked to see if i couldnt see any scars on the wall but i cant see the piston because its to low but on the wall it still looks good

I just took off the exhaust i got a flash light and looked to see if i couldnt see any scars on the wall but i cant see the piston because its to low but on the wall it still looks good

Pop the head off and see how everything looks, the top end gasket is cheap and at this point its pretty much a must.

If everything looks good your next step is taking the clutch cover off. One of the blasters i worked on recently had the plate on the face of the timing gear come off and jam between the clutch and primary drive gear. This is a less common problem but it could be something going on under the clutch cover.

If everything looks good there then your next step is pulling the cylinder to fully inspect the crank, and if that still doesnt find your problem then you likely have a problem in the trans gears.

Before you rip the head off do as Sporty advised, pull the carb and reeds and see if the piston skirt is damaged, you will have no trouble seeing it if the piston is down.

Quick question, and you have to answer honestly so we can accurately evaluate the problem your having and a possible cause ... Do you give your motor a sufficient amount of time to warm up before riding ? It is very common for a piston to seize when someone starts their machine up after sitting for any length of time and gets on it and start ripping ! Pistons ( more specifically and/or more commonly forged pistons ) need enough time to heat up and expand or there may be too much piston to cylinder clearance which can and will create problems such as broken piston skirts and SEIZED PISTONS.

i was riding it for a good two hours before it did this to me. I just took the head off and my piston is smooth and i cant see any scratches on it where do i go from now?

Pull the carb and reeds and see if the piston skirt is damaged, you will have no trouble seeing it if the piston is down.

If you have dropped a skirt there will be bits fouling the crank stopping it from turning.

Yes, please look and take off the carb and reed cage. so you can see the side of the piston.

It's common for the piston to break there, when there is a lock up or failure.

Looking at the top of the piston is not very help full. you wouldnt be able to see what you need to see.
And you will also be one step closer, to taking the cylinder off. which I might asume, at some point you are going to have to remove, to check for damage to the inner case , rod and crank. You will also be able to tell in the lower rod bearing has failed.

You might think about downloading the manual, if you have not already.

Start thinking about a work station to set up for tear down.

The tools you will need too.

You will need a flywheel puller and a clutch tool.

Do not poor kerosene into the motor.

Sporty

Your also going to need a crank puller/installer tool and a case splitter tool to rebuild the bottom end ( assuming your most likely going to need a bottom end rebuild ). Rockymountainatvmc.com has the best price by far on both ! You'll also need a flywheel holder and clutch boss holder, unless you have an impact gun which will eliminate the need for the flywheel and clutch boss holders. An impact gun with the neccessary variety of socket sizes will make the entire job much easier and faster !

Personally at this point i would be pulling the cylinder either way, i would pull both engine covers also and give this thing a full inspection.

IMO once you have locked up for any reason its time to fully inspect and see if any other problems are forming.