More bad luck, part out?

yamaha28

Apr 8, 2011
Alrighty, I reported a week ago or so about my circlip hopping ship and screwing my brand new engine. I got about 20 minutes off of the engine before the breakdown. Yea! :/

So I sent my engine to Ken to do the boring and put it back together "the right way" ouch lol I packed it together so it would survive a parachute drop without a parachute!

Ken called me today with nothing but bad news, bored it from 66.75 to 67.5 because the circlip screwed me so bad. Now the bottom end is shot also from that circlip. All bearings in the bottom end are shot and the crank needs to be rebuilt. Ken offered to rebuild it and clean it out for a price but I politely turned him down. I know I can do it and I just don't have the money to pay him right now.

So that is where I stand at the moment, I will wait until my engine is back to see exactly what is going on and if I want to fix it. Essentially I need a new crank, deep cleaning of the bottom end section of the cases, and obviously money. Here is what I am deciding at the moment.

Should I part out the blaster and use the money to get a nice race ready 450 or 400ex big bore, or suck it up and get the blaster running. I love the two strokes but if I get the four stroke I can hang with the big boys engine wise at the track.

I know all you guys are chomping at the bit to get a piece of my blaster (DB7) lol But I don't know how much more money I can put into this quad!

We all know a Blasty can hang with them 4 jokes on the track , It sucks about the bad luck bro . I haven't been able to ride for OVER A YEAR due to a rebuild thats just taking every ounce of patience I have , so do whats best for you , you're the only one you gotta please .

alrighty, i reported a week ago or so about my circlip hopping ship and screwing my brand new engine. I got about 20 minutes off of the engine before the breakdown. Yea! :/

so i sent my engine to ken to do the boring and put it back together "the right way" ouch lol i packed it together so it would survive a parachute drop without a parachute!

Ken called me today with nothing but bad news, bored it from 66.75 to 67.5 because the circlip screwed me so bad. Now the bottom end is shot also from that circlip. All bearings in the bottom end are shot and the crank needs to be rebuilt. Ken offered to rebuild it and clean it out for a price but i politely turned him down. I know i can do it and i just don't have the money to pay him right now.

So that is where i stand at the moment, i will wait until my engine is back to see exactly what is going on and if i want to fix it. Essentially i need a new crank, deep cleaning of the bottom end section of the cases, and obviously money. Here is what i am deciding at the moment.

Should i part out the blaster and use the money to get a nice race ready 450 or 400ex big bore, or suck it up and get the blaster running. I love the two strokes but if i get the four stroke i can hang with the big boys engine wise at the track.

I know all you guys are chomping at the bit to get a piece of my blaster (db7) lol but i don't know how much more money i can put into this quad!

. :-[

You can have just as much problems with any quad. I would rather see you fix it and ride more then I would getting my hands on that race good. Lol.

Up to you your quad your money that's the bottom line, I had a friend who just went with 4 strokes cause he said he has nothing but problems with them its all on maintenance and how you ride it I told him cause he doesn't honestly know how to ride a 2 stroke, but here's how I see it anything can have a problem my brother inlaw bought a brand new raptor a long time ago and its just sitting in the shed where it has been for years cause the 4 stroke scene can be waaaaay more expensive then the 2 stroke scene goodluck with what you do man listen to your heart and do what you thinks best.

You can have just as much problems with any quad. I would rather see you fix it and ride more then I would getting my hands on that race good. Lol.

Haha just busting you chops man! Thanks though!

Up to you your quad your money that's the bottom line, I had a friend who just went with 4 strokes cause he said he has nothing but problems with them its all on maintenance and how you ride it I told him cause he doesn't honestly know how to ride a 2 stroke, but here's how I see it anything can have a problem my brother inlaw bought a brand new raptor a long time ago and its just sitting in the shed where it has been for years cause the 4 stroke scene can be waaaaay more expensive then the 2 stroke scene goodluck with what you do man listen to your heart and do what you thinks best.

Very good advice, Triple B gave similar advice so I thank both of you guys for that

Alrighty, I reported a week ago or so about my circlip hopping ship and screwing my brand new engine. I got about 20 minutes off of the engine before the breakdown. Yea! :/

So I sent my engine to Ken to do the boring and put it back together "the right way" ouch lol I packed it together so it would survive a parachute drop without a parachute!

Ken called me today with nothing but bad news, bored it from 66.75 to 67.5 because the circlip screwed me so bad. Now the bottom end is shot also from that circlip. All bearings in the bottom end are shot and the crank needs to be rebuilt. Ken offered to rebuild it and clean it out for a price but I politely turned him down. I know I can do it and I just don't have the money to pay him right now.

So that is where I stand at the moment, I will wait until my engine is back to see exactly what is going on and if I want to fix it. Essentially I need a new crank, deep cleaning of the bottom end section of the cases, and obviously money. Here is what I am deciding at the moment.

Should I part out the blaster and use the money to get a nice race ready 450 or 400ex big bore, or suck it up and get the blaster running. I love the two strokes but if I get the four stroke I can hang with the big boys engine wise at the track.

I know all you guys are chomping at the bit to get a piece of my blaster (DB7) lol But I don't know how much more money I can put into this quad!

Were the crank and bearings sloppy to begin with? I'm not seeing how a circlip popping out of its groove is going to ruin the big end bearing and crank bearings (unless one of them in particular chewed on the circlip itself.

A 67.5mm bore will run just as nicely as a 66.75mm bore. There's not power to be gained but a fresh 68.25mm bore will run just as well as a stock bore engine..... there's nothing wrong with getting your top end bored to a 67.5mm hole and running it!

News flash: No quad, off the showroom floor, is going to go out onto a track and "hang" with dedicated race teams. The factory is fighting costs and keeping the price reasonable so lots of people can afford their rides (new) AND none of those are custom tailored to your specifications. The notion that you can buy a 450R and go out and race with other racers without dumping as much (or more) money in parts than you will into any other quad (including your blaster) is complete bunk. You'll spend thousands getting ANY quad completely race ready and then another thousands keeping it up.

Were the crank and bearings sloppy to begin with? I'm not seeing how a circlip popping out of its groove is going to ruin the big end bearing and crank bearings (unless one of them in particular chewed on the circlip itself.

A 67.5mm bore will run just as nicely as a 66.75mm bore. There's not power to be gained but a fresh 68.25mm bore will run just as well as a stock bore engine..... there's nothing wrong with getting your top end bored to a 67.5mm hole and running it!

News flash: No quad, off the showroom floor, is going to go out onto a track and "hang" with dedicated race teams. The factory is fighting costs and keeping the price reasonable so lots of people can afford their rides (new) AND none of those are custom tailored to your specifications. The notion that you can buy a 450R and go out and race with other racers without dumping as much (or more) money in parts than you will into any other quad (including your blaster) is complete bunk. You'll spend thousands getting ANY quad completely race ready and then another thousands keeping it up.

The crank was just fine when I started. Ken said the circlip went down into the bottom end and chewed around down there. I will just have to see when I get it back.

I know that it will run the same, but U just don't like taking that much life out of my cylinder, I liked it closer to stock bore because the farther you go from it the closer the end of it's life comes.

I wasn't thinking a stock 450, I was thinking about buying a used built one specifically for racing. I agree it might take more money then my blaster, but I could hang with the big boys. For the summer though I will probably just stick with the blaster.

The crank was just fine when I started. Ken said the circlip went down into the bottom end and chewed around down there. I will just have to see when I get it back.

I know that it will run the same, but U just don't like taking that much life out of my cylinder, I liked it closer to stock bore because the farther you go from it the closer the end of it's life comes.

I wasn't thinking a stock 450, I was thinking about buying a used built one specifically for racing. I agree it might take more money then my blaster, but I could hang with the big boys. For the summer though I will probably just stick with the blaster.

Used race quads are only let go for one good reason, they're wore out! Most teams invest SO much into their quads they'll only sell them once they're done with them.

For the difference youre going to have to make up after parting out your blaster to get a newer quad id just fix the blaster.You can bore the stock sleeve out like 9 times and if you get to the end resleeve it.

These arent your daddys sbc's where at .060 over you take a chance at overheating or getting into a water jacket.

Spend the cash bro buy a new crank and rod and be done with it!youll have peace of mind its new and ready to last top to bottom.

Sounds like you really want a 4-stroke and are looking for somebody to talk you out of it. If that's what YOU want to do JUST DO IT.