Lt80 mods

Gsi-mark

May 11, 2012
What Mods can be done to the 80 done boyseen reeds and air filter can u mod the reed cage anyway what about pipes as well

A lot of the modifications that are done to a Blaster motor can be done to the 80.. Better pipe. Better air filter. Porting. Ect.

You can play with the clutches some, ya need to get in there to maintain them any way. A wider track helps a bunch. There's really only 1 pipe worth buying, the others look nice, make noise but not much power. Don't waste your money on the pretty FMF or the DG pipe & carb. I use the stock pipe on my LT80's cuz I need USFS spark arrestor approved for our dunes. There's a lot more RPM to be found in the motor but it's a lot smaller than a Blaster & the mods are more subtle. Jack Moore, "LT80" on the forums, is the man for motor work.
I got lotsa LT80 help & info at ATV Connection : Kids Quads & Other ATVs - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community
Here's a thread with some hints:
ATV Riders Forum - Please post pics and info about engine block offs!

Fun with our beater LT80's:

Last edited by a moderator:
i didn't know they were autos. always thought they were at least 3 speed semi-auto lol.

get motor ported, find some race shocks, air filter with drilled air box and if im not mistaking fmf make a pipe and so does dg

well the air box lid. not sure on the lt80 but most atvs have a air box lid under the seat, take that off and drill some holes to let me air into the air box. thats what most people do! i have done on my blaster

FWIW: I have 1 LT80 that was modded by LRD ... LRD port work, DG 20mm carb W/clamp on K&N and DG pipe (now stock pipe). I did another stock LT80 myself ... a little port & head work, modded the stock carb and did some clutch work ... all stock air ducting, filter & pipe ... it was as fast and maybe a bit faster than the LRD bike ... Works makes LT80 shocks but 1 set of shocks is more than I have invested in my 2 quads combined ... you'll have a funky suspension with great shocks :) ... I think Predator 90 & maybe Kasea shocks can be fitted to the front ... the back shock has odd mounts.
Youngsters & newbees are hard on the clutches slipping them a lot with cautious slow starts. I gotta sand the glaze off after every family reunion. Just hammer it, hold on & go is the best & most fun :)

Stock petcock can be a pain as it relies on carb vacuum to operate ... leave the petcock on prime & put a cheap lawnmower type shut off valve in the fuel line.

BTW: about drilling holes in your airbox ... Jack Moore claims 11hp @11,000 rpm with stock air box & stock pipe .. something to think about!

can prolly lean it out a bit ... plug chop

.030 off the head is a simple gain..

silly story: told the kids I could make the LT80 faster with a file ... no way they say ... LOL ... took the head off, got out a big nasty file & took off .020 ... cleaned it up with a smoother file & lapped it flat ... oh, to prove a point ... coulda just put it in the lathe and reshaped it proprerly but where's the fun in that

Last edited: