leaking asf

Feb 2, 2015
I did a leak down test on my blaster and it didn't seem to hold any air in it at all ? Idk if I have a faulty tester or if my engine sucks. I looked at the head gasket leak and the head gasket looked fine but two of the bolts on the head were loose . Could that be why it was leaking ??

Attachments

• IMAG0221.jpg
    IMAG0221.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 364
  • IMAG0222.jpg
    IMAG0222.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 353
First thing to doing a leak test... leak test the tester!

second of all, with that much oil on the head and cylinder, there was clearly blow by from it not being sealed. get a new gasket and try again torque to spec

If need be you can anneal the head gasket. be sure to torque it properly in a cross pattern and to the proper torque specs.

Like Herp said test your leak tester first and if it is good then perform a leak down test on the motor. don't be tempted to run it or it could go boom. Get some soapy water in a spray bottle and start with head of course, then work your way down to base gasket. Check intake gaskets good, and even the split where the cases meet together. (stand on end if need be but shut fuel off first) submerge the air vent from the trans into a some water so if air were to come out you would see it bubble. Don't exceed 7-8 psi.

If you find a leak fix it and keep going until it holds that pressure for an extended period of time. Most say at least a minute with maximum 1psi drop in that time frame. ?? << someone correct me if im wrong please, It has been a while..

Report back with what you find.. Good luck and WELCOME..

If need be you can anneal the head gasket. be sure to torque it properly in a cross pattern and to the proper torque specs.

Like Herp said test your leak tester first and if it is good then perform a leak down test on the motor. don't be tempted to run it or it could go boom. Get some soapy water in a spray bottle and start with head of course, then work your way down to base gasket. Check intake gaskets good, and even the split where the cases meet together. (stand on end if need be but shut fuel off first) submerge the air vent from the trans into a some water so if air were to come out you would see it bubble. Don't exceed 7-8 psi.

If you find a leak fix it and keep going until it holds that pressure for an extended period of time. Most say at least a minute with maximum 1psi drop in that time frame. ?? << someone correct me if im wrong please, It has been a while..

Not trying to sound like an idiot but what is the leak usually caused by ? And I was just gonna buy a new top and Bottom end gasket set ?

Also I noticed when I did the leak down test it made a hissing sound (not only coming from the bike pump) and I felt some air coming from the intake boot . Check the picture I attached where I circled is where I felt air coming from

Attachments

• 1424153725479.jpg
    1424153725479.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 324
Could be a number of things. The best answer I guess would be to say a bad seal between two surfaces. Like a bad seal between the cylinder head and the actual cylinder due to an improperly torqued head gasket. A bad crank case seal on either the trans side or stator/flywheel side << they wear out over time and can dry up even. There is many reasons. the biggest thing is to find them and fix them. A 2 stroke motor needs to be air tight. Air leaks are detrimental.

Where you circled is a common air leak spot. Some yamabond or similar sealant will fix that up quick. Like I said before,,, every time you find a leak fix it and then look for the next. Unfortunately it is not uncommon for a new owner of a 2 stroke to find many air leaks. Most are fixed fairly easy and inexpensive. It just takes time to find them. Fix them now or be prepared to fork out some cash later.

Almost forgot,,, don't over tighten those bolts as you can warp the intake . that is if is already not warped.. Yamabond or alike sealant usually fixes that problem though. And or a new intake gasket.

Could be a number of things. The best answer I guess would be to say a bad seal between two surfaces. Like a bad seal between the cylinder head and the actual cylinder due to an improperly torqued head gasket. A bad crank case seal on either the trans side or stator/flywheel side << they wear out over time and can dry up even. There is many reasons. the biggest thing is to find them and fix them. A 2 stroke motor needs to be air tight. Air leaks are detrimental.

Where you circled is a common air leak spot. Some yamabond or similar sealant will fix that up quick. Like I said before,,, every time you find a leak fix it and then look for the next. Unfortunately it is not uncommon for a new owner of a 2 stroke to find many air leaks. Most are fixed fairly easy and inexpensive. It just takes time to find them. Fix them now or be prepared to fork out some cash later.

Almost forgot,,, don't over tighten those bolts as you can warp the intake . that is if is already not warped.. Yamabond or alike sealant usually fixes that problem though. And or a new intake gasket.
Honestly I don't think there's a intake gasket on there which might be a problem lol. But im gonna hope that's the only air leak anyway there was a gas leak where the exaughst connecting to the manifold and I'm not sure if that's a leak coming from the casing or if its from the exaughst . Sorry if I sound confusing it's just hard to explain thanks.

Attachments

• IMAG0219.jpg
    IMAG0219.jpg
    690.4 KB · Views: 327
  • IMAG0218.jpg
    IMAG0218.jpg
    850.6 KB · Views: 303
Mine leaked at the intake (reed cage) also. Best to get a spray bottle with some dish soap in it and squirt it everywhere there is a seal and watch for bubbles. Mine also leaked at the crank seals. If I took the oil cap off, I could feel air coming out of there. Also, my head gasket was leaking and 2 of the bolts were loose because the PO had stripped the head gasket bolts so I sent it to KOR to have cr 250 studs installed and he did a great job. I would put the head back on and torque it and leak test it again so you can find ALL the leaks. I didn't do that and just ordered the topend kit and put it together and found the bottom seals were all blown so I had to tear it apart again. Using soapy water will find the leaks a lot easier. Good luck.

Over tightening of the intake boot can warp the boot and cause it to leak.

5.8 ft lbs, diagonally and incrementally( a little on each nut at a time ) any more and the corners pinch down and the centre is raised creating a leak, a very common mistake that many folks make!

Reactions: Jeff Bennett
The intake boot has a built in seal, but as mentioned the cage and/or boot can warp. Some use two gaskets (both sides of cage), some use one gasket then rtv on boot, some end up rtv on everything.

Good luck!!

Reactions: Jeff Bennett