Leak test help

neo31ny

Mar 10, 2013
New York
I'm trying to do a leak test but not having any luck. I've got the exhaust blocked off and the leak tester inserted into the carb boot and tightened. I can't get it to pressurize. I could hear a whistling leak. I tore the stator off and found that the air is coming out of one of the holes behind it. Not one of the screw holes that hold it on, there's two holes behind the stator in a compass pattern in relation to the screw holes. So the two screw holes plus the other two holes make a north, south, east and west setup. It's the hole in the north position. Any ideas? I can post a pic if it will help. Thanks guys.

yes, post a pic
as far as i remember, there should only be 2 open holes behind the flywheel/stator, the 2 the puller thread into for splitting the cases, all others should have case halve bolts in them

Which hole??? will this pic help?

Yours seems different for some reason, I don't know if it's the angle of the engine because mine is sitting on the floor. The stator bolts go in the two opposite holes on my engine. The ones you have them in aren't threaded on mine. I'll post my own pic and circle the one in red that the air is coming out of. The top hole circled in red and the one below it are deep holes with no threads. The two across from each other the other way are for the stator bolts. I was pumping air into it with a hand pump and it was making a whistling air sound from that top hole and won't pressurize. Maybe a bad seal inside somewhere? I'm still new to this engine.

Thats interesting. that threaded hole should not be connected to the crankcase. I fear someone may have over tightened the screw in there are cracked the case. Have you probed with a thin wire down the hole to see if it has an opening at the back?

Either way, thats not a good thing. Once confirmed that the hole extends into the crankcase (leak test has proved that already) I would suggest you have to split the casings and have that patched from the inside.

It's not one of the threaded bolt holes. It's one of the other un-threaded, long and deep holes. They appear to be sealed or supposed to be but I can't see all the way in that well.

hmm...... the hole u have circled on the picture right above it..... it has a screw in it..... pretty sure that hole is threaded and supposed to have a screw in it.

hmm...... the hole u have circled on the picture right above it..... it has a screw in it..... pretty sure that hole is threaded and supposed to have a screw in it.

Under the stator? The stator won't sit flush if there was a screw under it. Mine doesn't have holes through the stator that line up there. The way mine came off...the other two threaded holes were lined up with the stator holes and had screws through them.

The one you have circled IS where the stator plate attaches. There long screws the thread is deep inside. As far as it leaking air i don't know why. Its this where your stator mounted to the case? If not it should be.

Last edited:
How is your stator attached????? Can you show a pic with your stator mounted? Something isn't right here if what you circled isn't where you bolt your stator too. There long screws like a finger length..there only threaded deep inside...

Last edited:
Sorry, It IS those two holes that the screws go in. I thought it was the other two cause they were threaded.