knocking at higer rpms

mckid

Nov 27, 2008
I just had the cylinder done and a new piston with it.
The problem is at higher rpms i get a knocking in the engine, it does not do it when it is neutral only while in gear what could be the problem?
It never did this before i had the top end done?

Can you please specify what you have done to the cylinder ? Because IF its a fresh bore and hone.. I could not be slap.... unless its done way out of spec..

also if it touches the head, why wouldnt it do it in idle ? ..

Have you messed with timming advance?

im with somalia on this one, gotta rule the fuel out first, i was thinkin detonation too, try a higher grade gas - some 90+ octane, and also did you break it in properly???

Is this common in the US? low octane fuel ? Im really surprised?! the LOWEST in Denmark / Sweden is 92 octane.. EVERYBODY runs 95 octane including me...

And then there is the premium Shell V-Power 99 octane...

And rarely you can buy some places 98 octane..

Its not the gas as i usually run 93, its not piston slap as i said i just had the cylinder honed and a new piston put in. It only happens when you are in the higher rpms in the gears, but as soon as it idles down you dont hear it.

Like i said you can have it in neutral and rev it full out and it does not do it?

I'm sorta having the same problem... I broke it in proper and everything, I know its not my top end because it did it before I had it rebuilt... I think its my crank going but I'm not sure..

It sounds like pinging/rattling and its also becoming more apperent at idle.

mine never did it before, i broke it in the right way and its just weird it only does while in gear. And its not a rattle or such it is knock?

Wow your lucky , the highest I can buy is 90 and it super expensive.:eek:

You would NOT want to know the prices in DK ... It properly the most expensive country in the world ..

Denmark has the worlds highest tax (Average 50% thoose who earn much up to 70%!!)

Denmark has the worlds highest V.A.T (25%)

Denmark has the worlds most insane tax system on cars!! (180%) Buy 1 pay for 3.. NO sh*t!

Ordinaty stuff like food, beverages and all hardware stores etc. its has just made it as no.1 in entire EU as the most expensive country to be end consumer in..

1 liter 95 unleaded!!! thats 1/4 gallon costs roughly 1,6$ sometimes more! thats over 6.6 dollars for a gallon!

Im NOT proud of being a Dane... thats why i moved to Sweden!

:D
You would NOT want to know the prices in DK ... It properly the most expensive country in the world ..

Denmark has the worlds highest tax (Average 50% thoose who earn much up to 70%!!)

Denmark has the worlds highest V.A.T (25%)

Denmark has the worlds most insane tax system on cars!! (180%) Buy 1 pay for 3.. NO sh*t!

Ordinaty stuff like food, beverages and all hardware stores etc. its has just made it as no.1 in entire EU as the most expensive country to be end consumer in..

1 liter 95 unleaded!!! thats 1/4 gallon costs roughly 1,6$ sometimes more! thats over 6.6 dollars for a gallon!

Im NOT proud of being a Dane... thats why i moved to Sweden!

ummmmmm, ok. thanks for the info. I:I haha just playin!:D

does it do it right away after you warm it up? or does it start knocking after it's been running for a little bit? if it doesn't matter if motor is warm or not it could be a bearing but if it starts doing it after it could be a dentonation problem after cylinder warms up to normal temp. also make sure it's coming from inside motor it could be other parts rattling around the motor or frame. also possibly could be a counterbalance bearing going.

i have a similar problem with mine right now. i have determind it to be an electrical problem its either the the coil or the stator. mine doesnt do it when its cold but when the engine warms up good when i'm going through the gears at wide open throttle the ignition cuts out and it sounds alot like detination but slightly different. i have talked to my engine builder flotek and we have narrowed it down to being an electrical problem. just havent had the time to figure out what it is yet.