kick start and oil leaking problem please help!

bagged2drag88

Aug 26, 2010
benton maine
ok so i put up my wifes blaster in storage for the winter.... i live in maine so the winters here suck! very cold... well i just went to my unit to grab something and noticed oil from under the engine then i attempted to crank it over and the kick start isnt grabbing at it was fine a month ago when i put it it... can cold weather screw stuff up? any ideas??? thanks so much in advance:eek:

ok so i put up my wifes blaster in storage for the winter.... i live in maine so the winters here suck! very cold... well i just went to my unit to grab something and noticed oil from under the engine then i attempted to crank it over and the kick start isnt grabbing at it was fine a month ago when i put it it... can cold weather screw stuff up? any ideas??? thanks so much in advance:eek:

this isnt trhe technical section its the rebuild section section post uur ? in the right section and u will get some answers

chances are when it warms up the sticking oiled parts in there will work fine, the oil leaking will need addressed then also
is the petcock shut off...you sure it's not fuel/oil mix, and the fuel has evaporated leaving just the oil ????

not 100% sure if its fuel as when i saw it i got pretty irritated and left... lol but i do know the kick start is not grabbing now... any ideas why as it wont turn motor over now... and thanks!

prolly thick ass oil from the cold keeping the kicker engagement from working, warmer weather will prolly help

the oil should have nothing to do with the kickstarter. Sounds like maybe the spring tab thing broke that engauges the gears.

for the oil leak I would wipe it down and check out where the oil is coming from. if its just the clutch cover gasket take that as a sign you are to take the cover off to fix the kickstarter

what about the plastic pieces and the movable parts on the kicker gear, thick cold oil should have no effect on them ???? only ever fooled with them once.
but definately possible theres a problem with the spring where it clips in, or worse,
i like to start out simple with advice, eliminate them first, before getting into worse case scenarios

the clip spring should still force it into place.
it is possible i guess, ive just never heard of it. I used to take mine ice fishing and it would sit out on a windy lake in -20 weather all day. I had the carb freeze, wheels freeze, but never had the kick start freeze up.

try heating the shaft/case with hair dryer or heat gun... if it works change your oil, you got water or moisture in there.
Use a good synthetic like Asmoil 75w-90 in there. it wont thicken up much and wont mix with water