Kennedy Powersports - Mods

TJsBlaster

Mar 14, 2008
I read a lot of posts like "what is the best mod"... so I wanted to let you all know about my experience with some recent mods to an '89 Blaster.
I read a lot on here about what to do to perk up the old Blaster and took some advice from some of you about pipes, carbs and engine work. I bought a Shearer pipe, Keihin 35MM Airstriker carb, VForce III reeds and most importantly I called Angus Kennedy at Kennedy Powersports and had him "trail port" the cylinder and modify the cumbustion chamber on the head. The Blaster was running fine before the mods but I just thought a 200CC engine should have more zip to it than the stock setup. WOW!!! you can't believe the difference this made to the Blaster. I am not exaggerating when I say there is a night and day differnce between the before and after performance. When we got everthing back together I couldn't get the machine to start. I posted on here and got some feedback and tried everything I could to get it started but it just wouldn't stay running. Angus Kennedy was a big help and took all my phone calls. I finally decided to take the machine right to him and see if he could get it running. This guy is awesome! he got it running, tuned and put it on the dyno in his shop for a few dyno pulls.
The Blaster sounds great with the Shearer pipe, just like a hopped up 125 or 250 motocross bike. Tons of torque and WAY MORE HP! We almost doubled the HP from the stock setup as proven on the dyno. I would recommend these mods to anybody that wants the Blaster to rip. I can't say enough good stuff about Angus Kennedy, the guy is a pro and great to deal with. He knows his stuff. We are running the stock bore and stroke and got just shy of 27 HP on the dyno runs. If you are thinking about getting engine work done contact Kennedy Powersports and talk to Angus. No sales pitch just good solid information and very straightforward guy. My son and I love results and couldn't be happier. I still can't get over the difference!I:I

haha yeah i talked to him on the phone if i was near him i would be up there at his shop robbing him of information, actually any of the builders id do it to...

NICE He dyno'd my badboy with the vf3's and a 35mm carb (everything else prety much the same as mine) and got 33hp from it! He is a big help and knows his stuff +1 for a good review and I too have seen the night vs the day with the blasty haha

Overkill. I know for a fact that some of the baddest 250r's only ran 38mm airstrykers. Anywhere from 30-32 possibly a 33 would better suit that engine

Overkill. I know for a fact that some of the baddest 250r's only ran 38mm airstrykers. Anywhere from 30-32 possibly a 33 would better suit that engine

professional builders like flotek and kennedy recommend that size carb on that set up, so your saying you know more than them? if you know so much then open your own shop and prove it.

Uh oh. Sounds like someone took my opinion personal... Everybody has their own opinion and that's mine. I wasn't bashing kennedys work, I haven't ran any of his products to give an honest review. Last time I checked this was his thread, not flotek's. So don't drag him into our conversation. My opinion remains the same, if that's his recommendation for that setup so be it. His name is on this thread, not mine.

It is always better to undercarb an engine than to overcarb. My trail ported stock stroke/bore blasters will recieve anywhere from a 28-32mm carb depending on pipe and specific application of the motor. Different builders portwork will aslo determine what size carb the engine runs most efficiently with. But, I have to agree with cwright...a 35 or larger is too much for a trail ported stock cylinder/stroke blaster. The problem you run into on carbs too large is the engines ability to draw the intake charge at enough velocity to draw fuel from the bowl no matter what main jet you have in. You can overcarb to the point that you end up lean. Elevation can also play into effect here because the availability of more dense air at sea level will allow for a larger carb compared to an engine being ran at higher elevations.

It is always better to undercarb an engine than to overcarb. My trail ported stock stroke/bore blasters will recieve anywhere from a 28-32mm carb depending on pipe and specific application of the motor. Different builders portwork will aslo determine what size carb the engine runs most efficiently with. But, I have to agree with cwright...a 35 or larger is too much for a trail ported stock cylinder/stroke blaster. The problem you run into on carbs too large is the engines ability to draw the intake charge at enough velocity to draw fuel from the bowl no matter what main jet you have in. You can overcarb to the point that you end up lean. Elevation can also play into effect here because the availability of more dense air at sea level will allow for a larger carb compared to an engine being ran at higher elevations.

wow.. thats deep man i guess i owe cwright an appolagy, good info

wow.. thats deep man i guess i owe cwright an appolagy, good info

Just so everybody knows...Kennedy didn't recommend the 35mm carb, that was my decision in case I wanted to do more later. I didn't want to be too small on the carb for other mods. I didn't ask Kennedy what size he would recommend, I told him what size I was purchasing.

Man don't worry about it we expressed our opinions and we disagreed. There always have been disagreements and there always will be, that's life.