Keihin idle/choke gig

Oldfart1stATV

Oct 29, 2007
Where do you guys have yours set? To get mine to idle I have the choke knob screwed about 1/2 way out. The air screw is around 1/2 turn out. Seems like the choke is too far out and the screw is too far in.

Anybody else got an opinny on this?

A

Keihin 34mm

PJ 34mm got a 140 main a 35 pilot and a P1474j needle (got an "s" under that, don't know what that means. That's the leanest I can make it with parts on hand.

I have other choke plungers and they have diff. contours, can't find sh*t about that. Also have other ait screws, also can't find anything about them and they are diff.

I have another needle, a R1471N I went with the other for the diameter being leaner. I have a 150 and 155 mains and a 50 and 55 pilot.

To me it still runs rich. I can't get a good plug chop, they are clean as a whistle and wet. Smokes white until she is warm, then only a little, more when you hit it. Floats are good, vlv is good, no leaks.

Thoughts?

A

BTW, this is parts from three or so carbs, so I'm not expecting miracles, it's just I don't think I have it tweaked in right.

Oh and I have a 60 slide in it now, I have a 40, too.

and the needle clip is second from top.

Last edited:
Can't

Been there. The farther out the more it dies down. The throttle is on it's last thread and just hanging on. Maybe the cable is wrong? I dunno, just isn't acting right.

A

Can't

I can drop the needle down one more, then it's at the top. That is my next try, unless someone can spit me out what I have screwed up. It's mighty close, it will idle and runs. Just a little doggy down in low rpm's and 1st and second. By the time you go to third it's pullin like a teenager on his pud.

A

Ugghhh OK

Thanks...=))

Gonna wait until this afternoon. Too dam cold to be playing with itty bitty parts.

A

Very good!!

It doesn't mention where the choke plunger should be. Or how it works. It seems to meter fuel like the pilot jet if it controls the idle. Was a great article, but, I kinda am at that point on knowledge and need to move a little more into the specifics of these Keihins. I'm going out to play with it some more, I'll let yopu know where I wind up. Seems like trial and error will win the day.

A

Man it's cold above third gear!!

I think the main jet is gonna work. WFO seems pretty nice, a little scary actually. I get it to idle, airscrew is still less than one turn out MAX. The choke thing is screwed out about shy of half way. The mids down low in first and second pretty much suck. So I need a needle change. I will try clip position then my other needle and see if they work any better. So still not right.

The good news is if you going about half hard as you go into third, it has full command of the front wheels all through the power band. It's kinda scary on pavement, should rock on dirt!!

That break in crap sucks. I spent a few days now freezing my ass off, just warming the dam thing up over and over, then put around, then a little faster.

AAAAAaagggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!1

At least it's over.

I finally have a little black on the plug. Looks a tad rich.

A:)