KandN vs knock-off KandN

blaster003

May 13, 2014
Ok so many of you know that i have posted many threads about how bad my bike has been running lately. Well today i figured it out when i bought the bike it had a parts ace knock-off airfilter that was new and that looked similar to a KandN, thinking it would perform as good as a REAL KandN i never replaced it.

MODS:
fmf power core 2 gold series chamber
boyeson reeds
stock carb
280 main
stock pilot
stock needle position
no lid on airbox
Mild porting and polish
.30 wiseco piston (fresh)

A few days ago i ordered swingarm bushings and some castor 927 oil and a new KandN airfilter just to see if it would help my bike run better, which it did a lot. I installed the filter and ran it around the yard, it felt like a totally different bike. I then decided to try a 300 main jet to see if the filter really did let more air through and it ran perfect with the 300 along with the REAL KandN. Then i popped my knock-off airfilter in (clean) then i rode it finding it ran VERY rich and would barley hit power band. So to conclude the millions of problems i have had with the bike running bad since I've had it the answer was a stupid airfilter.

Amen. Glad you figured it out. I have seen this all too often with cheap junk. Sometimes you get lucky,usually you end up buying the correct product in the end. Enjoy the new power.

Sweet you found your problem! But keep an eye on the new K&N iv seen many of them let fine dust through!

Any foam filter like uni or twin air are better for off-road applications
Great I use a foam filter called filtrex and seems to be doing great so I'll keep with that! Would this airbox lid removal have a positive affect for off road or will it be risky with all the dirt able to get in there?!

Ive been running the parts ace knock off air filter after removing foam and after tuning the air screw its way faster with powerband in about 1/8- 1/4 throtle all the way through. But i may have just gotten lucky. It may make a difference that i have
240 kit
boysen reeds
lid still installed
full fmf exhaust