K&N or UNI filter with toomey b1

TaylorMade44

Feb 10, 2014
My cylinder is getting a stage 2 port right now, as well as the head bring rechambered. I'm about to order the toomey b1 kit off rmatv which does not come with an air filter. I just bought a k&n air filter a couple weeks ago because I heard they were the best. I could buy the kit off toomey for 20 bucks more and it comes with a UNI filter. Just curious what the best way to go for the blaster. Thanks guys!

This is also assuming toomey is the best pipe for the blaster. I've done a little research and that seems to be the consensus, but please let me know if you think otherwise!

Well from what I read its best to buy your jets individually because the jet kits usually don't have the jets you need. I have no experience in the kits because I myself order my jets and parts individually (never a "kit").. Also if they give you a new needle I hear its tougher to jet correctly since the needles aren't manufactured with the tight tolerance as a genuine Mikuni. This makes complete sense because someone gave me a jet kit with a new needle and there are no identifying marks on the needle so to me that says STAY AWAY!! Post your mods and altitude temp etc and we can narrow you down to just a few jets you would need.. Most likely you will only need a few main jets. The money you will save on not buying the kit and just the few jets you need you should grab a few plugs to plug chop with (b8es).. As far as Toomey being the best pipe that's all a matter of preference and riding style. For your particular set up and riding it may be the best but for your neighbor it may not. Don't forget to list "ALL" of your mods so we can help with jetting. We can only direct you to what would be close as you will have to plug chop to confirm..

Best pipe may be an opinion, but i would say most right bends are better...

I dont have any experience with toomey, so dont take my word 100%

Well from what I read its best to buy your jets individually because the jet kits usually don't have the jets you need. I have no experience in the kits because I myself order my jets and parts individually (never a "kit").. Also if they give you a new needle I hear its tougher to jet correctly since the needles aren't manufactured with the tight tolerance as a genuine Mikuni. This makes complete sense because someone gave me a jet kit with a new needle and there are no identifying marks on the needle so to me that says STAY AWAY!! Post your mods and altitude temp etc and we can narrow you down to just a few jets you would need.. Most likely you will only need a few main jets. The money you will save on not buying the kit and just the few jets you need you should grab a few plugs to plug chop with (b8es).. As far as Toomey being the best pipe that's all a matter of preference and riding style. For your particular set up and riding it may be the best but for your neighbor it may not. Don't forget to list "ALL" of your mods so we can help with jetting. We can only direct you to what would be close as you will have to plug chop to confirm..
What I'm really concerned with is the type of air filter I need? The kit I'm referring to is the pipe kit that comes with a new main jet. If it doesn't run right I'll get a jet kit. I'm just curious what is better UNI air filters or k&n, and why

Ok just saw toomey is a right bend, but a lot of people say it's not the bend that makes the difference.
Toomey is not a right bend. As you can see in the picture, the bend off the cylinder goes to the right (would be left when installed.)
it goes up and around, rather than turned in out.

Im no expert, but my guess as to the difference in left/right bends is how the exhaust move.

Right bend pipes are better for the upper rpm range power, where as left (toomey) runs a little lower rpms
Toomey-b1kc-Blaster-chrome-kit-wm-450.jpg

toomey's are left bends, same as stock.
the toomey kit includes one jet, i think a 310, a uni filter and airbox lid vents, IIRC.
i prefer the superior filtering of the dual layer foam of a UNi, over the "maybe" slightly better flow of the K&N

I ride a lot of sand, and some dirt trails. Not too many wet conditions. Does the pipe kit from rmatv come with a filter as well? It doesn't show it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't. If it does come with the filter I will just try them both and see which one works better.

Whilst V force 4s are excellent reeds, I cannot bring myself to warrant the spending of so much cash.

I prefer to use Boysens dual stage.