jetting question

just the pipe, silencer and no a/b lid? start at 270. plug chop and see where to go from there. that #'s a little rich, better to be rich than lean. keep the stock pilot and the clip in the middle for the needle. a dg pipe is basically a stock pipe just louder. stock jetting is 230. youre prolly gonna end up 250-260 but like i said, better to be a little rich to start...

Most DG pipes with the air box lid on are happy with a #260 main.

Air box lid off +1 size on the main.

As mjgnslngr commented, you need to plug chop to confirm.

so im gonna get a 270 main today and a plog chop is just when you ride the quad thru 5 gears at full throttle and just take the spark plug out and check the color correct ?

so im gonna get a 270 main today and a plog chop is just when you ride the quad thru 5 gears at full throttle and just take the spark plug out and check the color correct ?

Plug chop:

Start with old plug, get motor in operating temp 10 minute ride. Find a nice long stretch you can get in 5-6th gear WOT (pinned)

Put new plug in.

Grip and rip in 6th WOT (Wide Open Throttle) for approx 15 seconds

While holding the throttle wide open, pull the clutch, at the same time turn the run switch off and coast to a stop.

Pull plug cut approx 1/4" of threads of being careful not to cut the porcelin center.

Should be a light cardboard brown ring!

why do i have to cut the plug cant i just see the color on the end of the plug jw

No. Reason, if your jetting is on the money, the rest of the plug will be white! If your really rich the whole plug will be black/ dk brown.

That is the proper way to do a chop. The smoke ring at the base is the true reading.

If your new to this buy a six pack of plugs, sound rediculous but for $12 bucks you will save your top end from a possible meltdown!

Plug chop:

Start with old plug, get motor in operating temp 10 minute ride. Find a nice long stretch you can get in 5-6th gear WOT (pinned)

Put new plug in.

So, in other words, go to the local Airport and taxi to runway 3...
Maverick: "Tower, requesting permission for fly by."
Tower: "Negative Ghost Rider, the pattern is full."

Grip and rip in 6th WOT (Wide Open Throttle) for approx 15 seconds

While holding the throttle wide open, pull the clutch, at the same time turn the run switch off and coast to a stop.

Prepare for consequences and legendary status. I:I

So, in other words, go to the local Airport and taxi to runway 3...
Maverick: "Tower, requesting permission for fly by."
Tower: "Negative Ghost Rider, the pattern is full."

Prepare for consequences and legendary status. I:I

Exactly....................!

i have a 98 blaster air lid gone oil inject gone and i have a procircut pipe im at a 40 piolit and a 270 main

yamaha said the 40 polit is ok and 270 is also ok seems ok i really havent been able to ride the past week but im hoping i wont run into any problems

how do i know if its to lean or to rich and i dont have a vise to cut the plug

Go to Harbor Freight and buy a 3" Vise for $35, bolt the thing to your kitchen table and put down an old blanket to catch the chips. I:I Or, hold the saw in one hand, plug in the other, and run the plug back and forth...just watch your fingers. :D

Too lean and it will be a lighter color I believe, too rich and it will look darker...you want darker. Correct me if I am wrong fellas and I will edit this to make it right.

ok so when i put the 270 do the plug chop and how do i know if its to lean what color should it be and cant i just look at the bottom on the plug do i have to cut it

Go to Harbor Freight and buy a 3" Vise for $35, bolt the thing to your kitchen table and put down an old blanket to catch the chips. I:I Or, hold the saw in one hand, plug in the other, and run the plug back and forth...just watch your fingers. :D

Too lean and it will be a lighter color I believe, too rich and it will look darker...you want darker. Correct me if I am wrong fellas and I will edit this to make it right.
you are Correct! tell him what hes won don..............

ok so when i put the 270 do the plug chop and how do i know if its to lean what color should it be and cant i just look at the bottom on the plug do i have to cut it
it sucks, i know but, the whole purpose of a plug chop is to see the color of the smoke ring located at the base of the porcelin. you cant get a good read from looking at the bottom. cardboard colored ring=:) dark brown/wet or light sand colored ring=:( easy cheezy! if you want, theres a dyi about doing a correct plug chop. use the search tab for 'plug chop'