jetting and needle

tbrooks

Sep 24, 2013
NC mtns
I didn't get much response on my rebuild thread about jetting (thanks tho tfaith), and wanted a little more input and knowledge. I've got lid removed, uni filter with outerwears cover, full fmf, premix 32:1, and Ken just bored it to 66.5, no porting or mods, just didn't have the cash :( My break-in period will mostly be around 3200 feet, but there maybe a trip or 2 to a nearby park at 2000 feet and a friends property (actually close to the park) which varies from 4000 to 5000. Elevations change pretty rapidly around here so I know I'll have to be careful with my jetting. I can drive (in a car) 15 min south and be at 1000 or ten minutes north and be at 5000. Oh and I didn't mention temps in summer time normally run in the 80's.

I'm still learning a lot of this stuff, what I have learned comes from u guys. Most of what I've seen on here and fmf site shows pipe should be 260, filter and lid off +3, and should add 1 more for the premix, so that's sitting at 300. But because of my elevation I thought I should drop back to 290 and go 300 (maybe?) at the park. Tfaith and myusername (who I got parts from) suggested 300, which a little rich on the main won't hurt since I'm gonna be in break-in period anyway.

I was wondering more about the needle as well, I poked around a little and couldn't find much on how to come up with its setting. I think usually with my set-up you guys call for middle clip, but wasn't sure if the elevation would make a difference. Of course it would only be too rich so I guess that's not a big deal. Just thirsty for knowledge and want to make sure I do it right

You will probably be at 260-270. We run a 270 main in the summer time in one of our bikes with the same mods.

Not sure how much elevation will change it because I have never ridden anywhere above sea level. You can either tune the needle by feel (what I do) or you can do 1/4 and 1/2 throttle plug chops.

This is all assuming you are running a stock carb.

here in missouri im running at about 1000 feet with a 280 main jet with full fmf ,light porting (just cleaned up casting flaws) ,filter and no air box lid. running a tad on the rich side.

here in missouri im running at about 1000 feet with a 280 main jet with full fmf ,light porting (just cleaned up casting flaws) ,filter and no air box lid. running a tad on the rich side.

That's exactly how one of our bikes is. Some people will say 310-320 main for those mods. I don't understand how some people can run those jets with those mods.

If you are willing and capable which I am sure you are, start from the back door and work in.. Start 300 and go from there.. Bring some plugs and do some chops.. I would say 280- (290 maybe) but only a plug chop can tell.. As far as the needle , stock needle middle clip??? Like Wifesblaster said I do mine by feel.. But you can plug chop at any throttle position/fuel circuit..

Best to start bigger and work in from there..

With your mods here at sea level and temps around freezing I would use #320 main.

But in your case you need much smaller jets.

I have not been able to remember the ratios for altitude and temp, but I do remember Awk08 posting something a while age, it may pay to PM him.

Thanks guys. It is a stock carb. I won't be tuning the needle by feel, because I don't have the experience as you do. So when I'm ready I'll plug chop it as well. I read an article on here about elevation affects on jetting. There was a formula and some charts, and basically what I took from it was about every 2000 feet needs down one. You guys have given me a much wider range than I expected, looks like I'll need a lot of plugs lol

I live at 5200 feet I run 28:1, lid off, Uni filter. I am at a 270 at home here which is just a touch rich. I go up to 7200 feet to ride and only drop to a 260. That keep me at just a touch to the rich as well. I do plan on +4 advance and a DMC/FMF pipe/silencer. I am speculating a 290/280 home/mountain Jet. won't know till i add parts. avg. temps i ride in are 80 degrees.

EDIT! Stock Needle Middle clip.

Last edited:
There was a formula and some charts, and basically what I took from it was about every 2000 feet needs down one. You guys have given me a much wider range than I expected, looks like I'll need a lot of plugs lol

That i pretty much spot on for what I have tested. -1 Jet size per 2000ft in elevation.

I get a lot of elevation changes too, while I am riding in the mountains. Mostly mine are anywhere from 500 - 1000 ft. Not sure how your elevation changes are while you are riding but Jet to the rich side and you should be good to go.

It was a lot of fun finding a suitable spot to chop at the camp site.

Although not a common practice one can emulate jet sizes by changing the pre mix oil ratio.

I prefer not to go into detail as it can cause confusion as all jetting recommended settings on BF are based on the common 32:1 ratio.

If you need to investigate more, I am happy for you to PM.

Thanks guys. Merc its good to here from someone at elevation. Did you plug chop your needle? Of course if you don't have a aftermarket pipe yet, that may change things. I was thinking I can do that about halfway through my break-in without hurting anything. Its gonna be hard for me to plug chop as well, but luckily there's a good straight on the highway right by me and we don't see the cops around here much. Even if I did they prob wouldn't say much.

Blaaster I appreciate the offer, but I think its best for me to keep it simple. I would rather change jets than mix!

Oh another thing, the straight I'm gonna chop on is inclined, I assume I should go uphill for my run to work the engine harder?

Plug chop runs can be done in the lower gears, but the engine must be made to pull hard, inclines and applying the brakes can help.

I'm think I can get through all the gears. If it was a car it wouldn't be a problem, I can hit 100 and slow down for the curve at the top of the hill, but quads I'm not too used to. I haven't rode a dirt bike in, oh about 20 years and this is my first 2 stroke quad, so I have to find the limits and get a comfort zone lol