Jetting 35mm PWK airstriker - HELP guys!!!

TJsBlaster

Mar 14, 2008
:(Any suggestions for a starting point on the carb jetting after this rebuild would be helpful. Here are the engine mods we just added from a pure stock set-up:
35mm PWK airstriker
VForce 3 reeds
Trail ported and polished by Kennedy with head work
Shearer full exhaust
Adjustable timing plate

The starting point for the carb (as purchased) is:
Air screw is 1 1/4 turns out
Plug is B8ES
Main jet is 160
Pilot jet is 48
Needle is DEK
Clip is 3rd groove down from top

The engine won't even try to start. Do you guys think a smaller pilot jet would make enough difference to get the thing to start? I smell fuel when I try to kick it over a bunch of times. The plug is always wet when I pull it. Do you think a 48 pilot would be large enough to keep the engine flooded on startup?

You have spark??
On my sons, similar setup, we have a 38 pilot, needle clip in top spot(leanest), and a 160 main. We're at sealevel. +4 on the timing.

With that jetting it should at least start. I'm pretty confident once you splice those tors wires that were left open, you'll at least be able to get it running. Then you can fine tune it.

If I removed the entire TORS system, brain and all, with the wiring harness, do I splice the wires that are left on the machine? There is a connector still on the machine that went to the TORS wiring harness. Maybe I should spice those two wires together? I think there is a connector up at the plastic nose piece cover and one down near where the old carb was. Let me know what you think. When I first read your suggestion about splicing I assumed you meant on the TORS side of the harness. Maybe you meant on the end that is left on the machine when you remove the entire TORS system.

You have spark??
On my sons, similar setup, we have a 38 pilot, needle clip in top spot(leanest), and a 160 main. We're at sealevel. +4 on the timing.

Yes, I see spark when I kick it over if I hold the plug against the cylinder. From what you run at sea level it sounds like I should be at least close enough on the pilot jet to get it to start. Did you have to splice anything when you removed your TORS?

what year, 02 and below you can just remove the brain for the tors, 03 you have to splice the wires from the thumb throttle together, hope this helps, and you pilot is too big, and are you getting spark? are you fouling plugs?
air fuel, 1 1/2 turns out, take a pic of the plug so we can see what we are dealing with.

It's an '89. Never had it running after the mods I just did so there is nothing on the plug to see yet. I set the air screw to 1 1/2 turns out. Any suggestions on pilot size? newnick said he uses a 38 pilot so I'll start there or smaller. Do you think the large pilot could explain the not starting issue?

not really unless you are comletely flooding the cylinder, and i mean it would at least act like it wanted to start, drop it down 38, hell i am running a 40 in mine with my mods runs perfect, whats the compression? and you can remove the tors completely, brain and all

Are you giving it a little throttle right when you kick it over? Sometimes it helps, gives it a little air.
On my sons quad all the wiring thats not needed has been removed, I completely stripped the harness and cut off everything not used and rewrapped it.

One thing you may want to check if you haven't already is your carb cable adjustment. When you put the new carb on did you make sure that your slide is completely closed. If it's adjusted to where it's partially open you'll have hell trying to get it started and would also explain your wet plug. Best to start with it completely closed then set your idle once it's started. Just a thought.