Is it neccesary to "break in" new piston rings?

lassek

Feb 23, 2009
Sweden, Denmark is my native
If its the same cylinder and piston coming back together but new piston rings.. do they need break in .. or more or less ready to race ! :-D ..

I would of corse start it .. let it idle for 10min.. take it for a spin.. nice and easy and then throttle it.. or is there a need for much more break in..

It would be recommened that you go through a break in period on the motor. The rings need to wear to seat them to the cylinder, If you don't you may shorten the life of the rings dramaticly.

I agree, treat it like it's a new rebuild. The rings is the reason for doing a break in afterall. Did you have them hone the cylinder while it was apart? That's always a good idea as well when replacing rings.

Hmmm no! .. because I decided to do the port job myself.. so no hone.. same piston go in ..

Would you recommend me to re-use the piston rings that are on the piston? They are almost brand new... but break´ed in...

I don't know if I'd do that. If u have new rings u might as well use them, but after the porting and new rings, I think I would take the precaution of honing the cylinder as well. Pretty much any automotive shop should be able to do it and most only charge 5-10 bucks as it only takes a couple of minutes to do. It would be a good idea.

I have the piston rings.. so ill guess ill mount them...

When you say hone anyway... do you mean hone without bore gets bigger? because thats a no go due to the same piston...

BLASTERFREAK:

Can i buy a "hone tool"??? i dident know.. thought you needed to go to pro shop for that...

400 grit if you can find one, the finer the better. Stay away from 240 and lower. Some one on the forum had talked about honing in generl support I think

i think some of the cheaper auto parts store ones you can adjust to the hone size you need, you dont have to go hog wild on it, the hone just cleans up the cyl wall, and puts the cross hatching in it you need for proper ring seating and compression, that way everything is smooth and even