is cylinder work mandatory?

blaster187

Sep 14, 2014
image.jpg
ok i finally got my blaster leak free. turns out i didn't have an exhaust gasket. as a result, the top of my piston has turned a nice bronze color. i know i need to replace it but my question is do i need to have my cylinder honed or can i just drop in another piston? the cylinder wall is silky smooth not even the slightest defect. thanks for all your suggestions.

If you are going to put in a new piston and rings the cylinder will need to be honed.

T he rings need to cut their way into the cylinder to allow a good seal.

The cylinder wall must not be silky smooth, the rings will never bed properly!

Please tell me that is not a blue/green paper base gasket that I see.

They have been known to be unreliable!

If you are going to put in a new piston and rings the cylinder will need to be honed.

T he rings need to cut their way into the cylinder to allow a good seal.

The cylinder wall must not be silky smooth, the rings will never bed properly!

Please tell me that is not a blue/green paper base gasket that I see.

They have been known to be unreliable!

the bronze discoloration is the burn pattern, and may eventually be carbon buildup
neither is a reason to replace the piston.
if the piston to cylinder clearence and compression are within specs, that piston does not need replaced

the bronze discoloration is the burn pattern, and may eventually be carbon buildup
neither is a reason to replace the piston.
if the piston to cylinder clearence and compression are within specs, that piston does not need replaced
cool, thanks. do you think sea foam treatment would be a good idea once i put everything back together?

cool, thanks. do you think sea foam treatment would be a good idea once i put everything back together?

no need, the discoloration is normal.
put it back together with oem or cometic gaskets, leakdown test it, heat cylces and retorque, then ride that sucka

no need, the discoloration is normal.
put it back together with oem or cometic gaskets, leakdown test it, heat cylces and retorque, then ride that sucka
cool, just want this thing to last, appreciate your help bro.

That piston looks barely used.
Maybe post pic of exhaust and intake side of piston and one of bore.

If you finally got it leak free, why did you take it apart? By chance did you do a comp test before?

I see you have a Vito's Super Stock piston. What other mods do you have with it?

Yes do not use a stone hone. It could catch a port and gouge things. Use a ball hone and try and get a hone around 10% larger that the bore you are honing. What you have there is a stock bore on a 240. Try and keep things in good order and only bore if necessary so you can get the most life out of that cylinder. Unfortunately the 240's don't give you many over bores. Also you can take notes on the burn pattern on the piston. Looks pretty good to me. Any way of posting a pics of the cylinder bore, intake, exhaust and transfer ports?