Is CDI Necessary

BlasterSPL

Oct 4, 2008
I bought a used Blaster and have a Clymer Manual on the way but wanted to simplify the wiring on my bike by removing the Headlight and tail light and just basically seeing if I can get away just bypassing the CDI box and connect direct from stator to coil..Is this possible??.Please let me know..I have a bad CDI box and wanted to spend the money elsewhere rather than buying a CDI box..Thanks for any help..Kurt

That sucks..I just bought a Ricky Stator kit and wish I would have bought the CDI instaed now..Oh well got to wait another week..Thanks Dave! Kurt

The cdi, or "capacitive discharge ignition" unit is the digital version of a points and condenser. It takes a signal from the pick-up coil in the stator to send a spark to the plug. It all works together and unfortunately for us broke asses it is all necessary.
If I got any of that wrong I am really just pretending to be smart.

The cdi, or "capacitive discharge ignition" unit is the digital version of a points and condenser. It takes a signal from the pick-up coil in the stator to send a spark to the plug. It all works together and unfortunately for us broke asses it is all necessary.
If I got any of that wrong I am really just pretending to be smart.

Really appreciate you clearing that up..Really love the bike when its running it was just out yesterday and ran like a Batatahell checkin out on the Warriors and today no spark..At least I know what it is instead of guessing..Thanks again guys for your input..Kurt

They do when you have spent all the money and time I have spent on the bike..I know they dont cost much but im broke like everyone else..I buy parts before I eat.,.Should be the other way around..Thanks guys for all the help..I got the bike going again and it wasnt the CDI..It ended up being the Stator and flywheel was corroded from the last clown that owned the bike..I was told CDIs and coil under the seat rarely go bad..Thanks again Kurt

yep iv replaced both cdi i think it was 50 bucks and the coil i got for nothing but still have nothing so im geussing when i change my stator it should fire right up and it makes me mad i never had problems like this my blaster was the most reliable 2 stroke i have ever had better than some four strokes but now this so im hopeing a simple problem

Also check all your grounds..It also could be the stator..Thats where all the power comes from so check that..If you kick over the bike is the plug wet.?.If the carb is working should be wet from the fuel in the cylinder but because there is very little to no spark wont fire..Also may not fire if your plug is wet..Try a new plug or an lod one you know is not fouled..LOL Kurt

the CDI is only required if you want your engine to start and continously run