Iridium plugs

nofxfan125

May 9, 2009
Freeland, PA
I was readin something about Iridium plugs somewhere, but can't seem to find the thread. Can anyone explain anything about the plugs, and why it might be beneficial to switch over to the iridium?

they are supposed to spark hotter without that much effort. your motor using less effort=more power for you to use. dont expect a crazy difference but its worth it for 10 bucks

Reactions: nofxfan125
i ran em,,,they are nearly impossible to foul, that is the benefit . plus they do give a better spark, not really that big of a power feel but its crisper power for sure
i recommend em

they really dont do anything, they run colder then the regular plug so that being said you dont really get full power out of using one. yes you may feel alittle better throttle response other then that its not worth the 10 bucks youl blow on one IMO. i use to run one and had this same question back when i worked for a merc dealer so i asked one of our techs and the parts guy and the basic answer they gave me was, the factory recomends the plug it does because thats what they built the motor to use and its also the one they found that gives the best performance.

Iridium plugs are a waste $$$, they don't give you any power and they foul out almost as fast as regular plugs, just buy the ¢.99 B8ES and be happy!

awk i'll get to you. Hah, can't give out that much rep at one time.

hahaha, awk's got enuf reps anyway, i dont even know where all them came from
and my thoughts on the factory recommended plug are.....that was before we started moddin the sh*t out of them

hahaha, awk's got enuf reps anyway, i dont even know where all them came from
and my thoughts on the factory recommended plug are.....that was before we started moddin the sh*t out of them

So so true. The B8ES is for the stock engine at 195cc's an d a restrictive exhaust, not a 250cc engine with a huge carb and a high flow exhaust.

people are still buying those $10 a piece plugs? buy the BR8es plugs and call it a day.. the iridums are a waste.. and engien size has nothing to do with it.. in fact.. a blaster, banshee, 250r, lt250R, and quadzilla all use the same plug.. (quadzillas are suppsoed to be a b8egv plug but those may not exist anymore).. a plug of the same heat range (8) does not run cooler because it's iridum.. nor does it make the engine run cooler.. sure one property of a spark plug is to transfer heat form the combustion chamber BUT... that iridum plug isn't going to do this any better than a normal plug.. as far as fouling.. an engine set up correctly doesn't foul plugs period. i pull the plugs every winter in my machines.. and you know what i find.. the b8es or br8es i take out are perfectly fine... because they are set up correctly.. the iridum plugs are a gimmick.. just a way to get you to spend $10 on a $2 plug..

a plug of the same heat range (8) does not run cooler because it's iridum.. nor does it make the engine run cooler.. sure one property of a spark plug is to transfer heat form the combustion chamber BUT... that iridum plug isn't going to do this any better than a normal plug.. as far as fouling.. an engine set up correctly doesn't foul plugs period. i pull the plugs every winter in my machines.. and you know what i find.. the b8es or br8es i take out are perfectly fine... because they are set up correctly.. the iridum plugs are a gimmick.. just a way to get you to spend $10 on a $2 plug..

i was waiting for someone to say this and you beat me too it lol....

if i remember right from college the iridium plug is used when your running a much higher intensity spark from a high performance coil because the much stronger spark wears out the standard spark plugs faster then the iridiums.....(this is what i can remember from 2007 lol)

IMHO stick with the b8es its a very good plug. and when the blaster is jetted correctly and the plug gap is correct youll be great and should never foul a plug i know i never did

since i added my f7 pipe, i have noticed a little less throttle response down low, and a little better response since adding the iridium plug??? i think i'm runnin a little rich with the 320 jet in there now, and may be a little too rich with my needle clip setting, and didnt wanna fool with this carb anymore since all thats gonna change when i put on the 34mm carb i got from rockstar, but i wasnt promoting anything the iridium plugs claim, just statin the facts that i did notice a little better throttle response in my situation and have owned 2 blasters over the last 13 years and have only ever fouled 1 plug, the second day i owned my brand new '96, tryin to take it too easy during the break-in

ive used an iridium but only since when i bought my quad :p
and can honestly say i wont be buying one when i need a new plug. since swapping it out with the normal br8es, i havnt noticed any difference what so ever.

I bought $36 worth of Iridium's (4 plugs), I loved mine. I noticed a tad bit of quicker throttle response and seemed to idle a little bit easier. Don't take my word for it though. All of us have different opinions. I would say go ahead and spend the $10 and see if you like them. Iridium's also don't tend to foul when trail riding. My engine started better with the plug too. hope this helped!