Intro, and tranny fluid level problem already yay!

mystahagy

Feb 27, 2008
Corpus Christi, TX
Hey all, recently got a blaster and found this site, it's great! I bought this blaster with some issues and they are gradually getting sorted. When purchased the motor had a lot of piston slap, and it had also pushed out the seal behind the front sprocket. I rebuilt the top end, put in a new seal at the sprocket and the transmission fluid level just seems to disappear. The bike doesn't smoke any more than a normal 2 stroke, and not a single bit of oily moisture comes out of the exhaust. Nothing abnormal on the plug either, bike runs perfect!

The disappearing fluid has me concerned though, so today I go to pull the clutch cover to have a look at the crank seal. Without opening up the oil fill, I loosened the oil drain plug to drain the oil, and as soon as I turned the plug the oil level went right back up to normal. I then let it drain out.

Should I still pursue the crank seal? I haven't pulled the clutch cover for fear of unnecessarily damaging the gasket. Doesn't seem like the fluid burned off, but was kept out of the bottom of the motor by pressure or vacuum. Where was it sitting??? No way can this be normal, what's the deal here? Thanks for any ideas!

Just discovered that the crankcase breather tube was nearly melted shut up at the exhaust. Going to cut it back and exit it out at the swingarm and see if it helps.