Intake air leaks

biggercb

Jun 16, 2011
Leakdown test showed the intake leaking after a fresh rebuild....pulled it apart, slapped some gasket maker on the jug to reed cage mating surface and gasket...and then on the intake boot to reed cage surface...and I am still getting a slight air leak...

Do you guys use two intake gaskets, one on either side of the reed cage? Is there a special silicone you are using? Is there a better gasket setup out there?

Leakdown test showed the intake leaking after a fresh rebuild....pulled it apart, slapped some gasket maker on the jug to reed cage mating surface and gasket...and then on the intake boot to reed cage surface...and I am still getting a slight air leak...

Do you guys use two intake gaskets, one on either side of the reed cage? Is there a special silicone you are using? Is there a better gasket setup out there?

i use 2 COMETIC gaskets and a thin layer of ultra grey

I'm with noober on this one yes one gasket each side, and a thin film of Grey or copper!

Last edited:
the stock cage or intake (i forget which one it's been so long)
has a built in rubber gasket and requires no extra gasket, my experience is an extra gasket there causes leaks

hi temp copper perma gasket on all, but...it is not fuel safe, so must be left to dry before running fuel thru it

I use permatex red gasket adhesive/sealer on all my paper gaskets. It's a spray.
Hang your gasket on a nail, spray both sides until they are red and assemble.
I love the stuff and it's fuel/oil safe.

I buy a sheet of gasket material which is thicker than the normal gaskets you buy and they seem to compress more under pressure which allows them to fill voids better. I dont add any sealant just a good quality gasket. So far I havent ran into any problems in the intake area useing these home made gaskets. Advance auto sells the gray material for like 10 bux which will make enough to last many tear downs.

If they are a compressed paper type they may break down in time due to ever changing temps, causing expansion and compression.

They may leak in time!

aha, my old ass memory is still intact, as shown below only the "reed to cylinder" takes a gasket on a stock system, the intake boot has it's own built in rubber gasket that seals to the reeds, i used a gasket there once and it leaked bad

34rulgi.jpg

aha, my old ass memory is still intact, as shown below only the "reed to cylinder" takes a gasket on a stock system, the intake boot has it's own built in rubber gasket that seals to the reeds, i used a gasket there once and it leaked bad

34rulgi.jpg

I tried it dry and with some silicone...I think I am going to try the dual gasket idea and see if it works...if not, I guess I will look into purchasing a new intake. I will let you all know, thanks for the responses.

I tried it dry and with some silicone...I think I am going to try the dual gasket idea and see if it works...if not, I guess I will look into purchasing a new intake. I will let you all know, thanks for the responses.

2 cometic gaskets and a skim coat of rtv!! doctors orders!!! lol

I Also i got really a HUGE roll of nice paper gasket material, was $7 i think. so it pays for itself as i don't have to leave my house or place and order every time i need a gasket.

That gasket spray sounds amazing now that you mention it, guess i have to go smell some/ i mean buy some. oops lol

That gasket spray sounds amazing now that you mention it, guess i have to go smell some/ i mean buy some. oops lol

i think you've already inhaled way too many fumes, hahahaaa

Well guys, two yamaha gaskets, and some yamabond, and she is sealed up nice...thanks for the help...

Should the gasket between cage and jug be replaced after installing new reeds? Im rebuilding my bike this winter and will have the engine tore down. I assumed that if I just install the original gasket (in good condition) that I should be fine. If I put it back together and have a leak will I loose performance and how do you know if you have a leak?

Should the gasket between cage and jug be replaced after installing new reeds? Im rebuilding my bike this winter and will have the engine tore down. I assumed that if I just install the original gasket (in good condition) that I should be fine. If I put it back together and have a leak will I loose performance and how do you know if you have a leak?

Yes you can reuse them i do i just add a lite film of copper RTV on both sides let it dry overnight and you should be good.

Only way to know for sure about an airleak is do a Leakdown Test! One of the single most important things to do after a rebuild or disasembly to avoid fryin your new top end!

Here is a thread on how to and how to build one I also sell them usually cheaper than you can buy the parts.
http://www.blasterforum.com/do-yourself-20/build-use-leakdown-tester-10663/