Installing suspension on custom Blaster

knn1984

Feb 11, 2011
NC
This is my first post and by the way this looks like a great site. I just bought a project bike a while back and have a question. The blaster i bought has a lightened frame, is lowered, and has extended swingarm. It came with the stock frame and suspension, and practically a whole other motor and other parts. The kicker is that it was only 400 dollars and it runs and shifts great. The suspension that was on it when i bought it was just a shock sitting on itself. It might as well be a steel bar and for me that really takes the whole purpose out of having a atv. So what i want to do is install the stock suspension that came with the bike but they are way to long for the setup. I really want to use the custom frame and sell the stock one. I plan on taking the bike apart, painting the frame and going through the engine. And i am planning on raising the suspension mounts. But i want to do all that next winter and just want to have fun on it for awhile. So im thinking maybe i could make some brackets that would bolt to the suspensions mounts and up to the shock. Im wondering if this would hold up to normal atv riding. I have a friend at a machine shop that could make these work but im afraid it will lose its structure. I dont know if this a stupid idea because i never mess with stuff like this. I have always rode dirtbike and just wanted a fourwheeler, so i dont know them as good as a dirtbike. I would have put pics on here but its been a while since ive posted pics from photobucket and the site has changed and i cant figure out how to do it. So if someone would like to share how to post pics, i will put some on here.

wha? You lost me somewhere in there. I'd have to have pictures to figure what you're talking about but from the sound of things, you'll have to have custom mounts made to get the shocks to bolt up.

If that's the case, you probably don't have the correct shocks to mount to those arms or vice/versa. Something is missing from the equation.

Let me try and see if i can post some pics. The arms are not stock and im talking about the top mount on the frame

if they will work, i have stock front shocks i'll let you have for $8 plus shipping

they work just fine. i just upgraded to works shocks, and they have been sitting

Depending on pics, he maybe better off using the stock frame. If the one was trimmed down to save wight, it may not hold up well to ruff offloading and jumps.

[
003-1.jpg
I
002.jpg

006.jpg

Ok i got it to work. What i was talking about was maybe trying to extend the top mount somehow but i really dont think it would work all that great. i just dont want to stick the old shocks back on. I would like to make these work on this frame somehow.

Well i dont want to take it trail riding but i would like to have some suspension for a dirt road or field. Maybe i will try to cut the springs enuff to have something and wont bottom out on normal riding

Yea i guess youre right but i dont have the crossbar for the top part. Do i need that. If i say something stupid, sorry im a atv noob

About the stock frame i have someone who want to buy the stock frame, but if thats what i got to do i will keep it

is that shock really bouncy?
i have never seen one setup like that.

btw, the bike in my sig is not my bike. its the same bike, but mine is modded. here's a pic

bike.jpg

i dont think you should or would be safe running that custom frame on anything except a straight flat track. i guess it could be used to build some custom front suspension setup, but its probably too weak with everything cut out to do much on. maybe someone on here would be interested in that frame for a drag build. or keep both, and have two projects