im new to blasters

jokerfacewild

Mar 26, 2013
eastern pa
Hey this thursday im picking up a 2002 blaster and I know nothing abou mods. I need help with two things. It is bone stock except it is bored .40over to a 210. Syocl exhaust and stock gearong. 32-1 premix. He has no idea about the jet and I was wondering what size main jer I should be running. Also front and back brakes barely work. Where shoild I start woth that. Thank you for your time

Welcome to the forum. You want to learn and do a leak down test and a plug chop. I'm not sure what exhaust you listed. You can ether try fixing your stock brakes or upgrade to Awk08 rear GSXR brake and get some custom front spindles from Ken O'Conner racing that let's you bolt on Banshee front brakes.

Boring 40 over puts it about 198cc.

If is has any type of aftermarket pipe on it I would be making real sure that it has at least a #270-#280 main jet in it.

As said, leak test and plug chop before riding it.

14mqc1y.jpg

Before you make the plug chop run it is important that the float level is correct, the idle is set correctly and there are no air leaks in the system, otherwise the smoke ring may lie about the AFR.

WHEN ALL OF THE ABOVE ARE CORRECT PROCEED WITH THE FOLLOWING.

Warm up motor to operating temp.

Fit new B8ES plug, ride through the gears and hold WOT in 5th or 6th gear for 10 seconds, or as long as you can safely.

Switch off the motor and pull in the clutch, apply brakes to come to a stop quickly.

Take the plug out and replace the old one for the ride home.

Carefully cut the threaded end off the plug to expose the insulator.

There should be a smoke ring of a cardboard or biscuit colour around the insulator.

If it is non existant or a very light colour, you are lean and require a larger main jet.

If it is a lot darker you are rich and may go down a size in main.

I prefer to run a little on the darker side, I may loose a little power but it is worth it for the peace of mind that I won't need a rebuild so soon.

http://www.blasterforum.com/do-yourself-20/how-plug-chop-38674/

http://www.blasterforum.com/engine-13/plug-chop-how-vid-48226/

This is a good to go plug.

2wr2fwo.jpg

This one is a little rich, but I would run it, I like to be on the safe side.

plug152mainmediumoi2.jpg

You have to get up a reasonable speed so that you can get the motor to pull strongly.

Then hold it Wide Open Throttle (WOT) for 10 secs or as long as you can.

The idea is not to get speed but to make it pull strong at full throttle to get onto the main jet curcuit.

I find I can safely do it on a short run by applying the brakes some.

If you have not enough room you can use 4th or 5th gear with good results.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay im going to hope he did the jets because he has been riding it for 6 months after the bore. Buy he took it to a shop for the bore so I should probably be okay. Thanks for the inpuy. Again it is a stock exhaust

If everything is stock, with the same air filter and airbox lid on then a #240 jet would be good with 32:1.

If anything has been done to the intake side then you may have to jet up.

Make doubly sure that the oil injection has been removed correctly and the little nipple on the carby blocked off well.

Welcome to the forum. You want to learn and do a leak down test and a plug chop. I'm not sure what exhaust you listed. You can ether try fixing your stock brakes or upgrade to Awk08 rear GSXR brake and get some custom front spindles from Ken O'Conner racing that let's you bolt on Banshee front brakes.

Not trying to thread jack ,but Blasteremon7, that blaster you've got up above ^^^ ROCKS! Definitely sweet!

Back on subject....

So I picked up a 230 and a 240 jet and 3 plugs to chop. Im going to try the 240 chop and see what happens after I get the bike. Hopefully he hasnt damaged the engine from riding the stock hey. O think I've found online that the stock jet is 120? That's a big difference just for an oil block off and a bore. Can anyone confirm that size?

So I picked up a 240 jet and a 230 and 2 plugs. Im going to start at the 240 and do a pkug chop and go Dr om there. I think I've found online the stock jet to be 120? Any input there? That seems like a rather big jump fpr iust the block off kit and a bore. Anyways I just hope he hasnt damaged the engine riding the stock jet

nope 230 jet is the stock main jet for all blaster 1988-2006 240 and 250 will be good to do chops with start with a 250

oh yeah and by the way boring doesent change jetting at all but it doesent hurt to start rich on the jets just to make sure. i like to run rich, its nice to have room for error