idle reving too high

mpiller

May 6, 2009
I am new to this forum and this is my first post but I have been reading on here alot lately. I bought a blaster a few months ago as a project and right now my problem is that when i start it, it revvs out of control on its own and then I have to kill it for fear that it will blow the motor. I have cleaned the carb numerous times and the air/fuel screw is set at 1 and 1/2 turns out. I have tried adjusting the idle screw but it does nothing, and I took the cover off of the tors and saw that when you turn the idle screw it is stripped inside that plastic peice and does not change the position of cable. Does this mean that I should get a tors removal kit? I can pull the choke out and the idle goes down about half, but is still too high. And I have tried checking for airleaks by spraying carb cleaner around the gaskets, but I can only do this with the choke on and it does not rev up any higher. I have been trying to fix this for a while and is getting frustrating. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

ok thanks, Its at my dads house so I wont be able to work on it until this weekend. But Ill try that, I am just worried about trying to drive it if it is revving out of control like that.

ok thanks, I checked the reed boots for small crack and I sprayed carb cleaner around everything but I dont think there were any air leaks. Should I let it run like this for about two minutes to see if it stops?
Thanks

Sounds like your throttle is sticking open. Clean the carb and disconnect the TORS. I have a couple how to's in the DIY section. Check em out.

im gonna say cause i have had this problem with my blaster check the needle slide and make sure thae groove in it is lined up with the one in the caborator which will sit the needle down all the way!! try that

Well the tors is disconected already and I thought if the slide did not line up with the groove that the cap would not screw on completely on the carburator?