Idle problem

Daryl Schmitz

Aug 29, 2016
I have a 2005 blaster all stock except for the boysen power reeds that were in it when i bought it 3 weeks ago. The problem im having is if i turn the idle up to where it is about right it bogs for a second then revs up. There is no hesitation once or bog once you get into the higher rpms but when you let off the throttle it's like it hangs on the way down, basically slow to return to idle. The idle is also all over the place have to adjust all the time. The one thing i found was if i turn the idle screw all the way out so it will not idle with out your thumb on the throttle it revs perfect no bog and it dont hang on the way back down. I cleaned the carb 4 times and put a rebuild kit in it. I built a leak down tester and it held 7psi for over 5 minutes so it has no air leak. The tors is still on the top of the carb but it is unplugged with the green wire from the stator grounded properly. So basically as long as i have the idle screw turned all the way out runs fine just dont idle but if i turn it in to set the idle it will bog before acceleration. Anyone have any idea what it may be???

Was going to say air leak, but you mentioned you tested it. I suggest you make double sure on that, with the piston at BDC. Let it sit with 7psi for 15min and see what you get. Another thing to consider is your carb cap. Make sure it isnt sucking air in, there should be a rubber gasket under the screw on cap - check it A leak test misses this part.

Check your jetting as well. Perhaps your pilot jet is incorrect. it should be a 32.5. check your needle number as well as needle clip position.

If you pull the choke out while idling does it make it slow down?

I just did another leak down test and it held 7 psi for over 20 minutes, the boot seems to be good I moved it side to side and up and down it held at 7psi with no drop. It has all factory jets and needle in it I checked them all before putting them in. Needle is in middle position. I moved the clip both directions and it did not help the problem. The gasket on the cap is new in got it when I got carb kit. If I set the carb so it idles pulling the choke once warmed up will kill it so it seems to be working properly. Like I said if I back the idle screw all the way off to where it will not idle without me holding the throttle it runs like new. Crisp throttle response, no bog and it doesn't hang on its way back down. I opened both sides of tors box and the arm goes back down nice and smooth it all seems to be working fine. It's got me stumped.

Idle speed adjusting.

Set float level, make sure that all jets are clean and fuel flows freely from the float bowl drain when
the screw is cracked open.
Start with air screw 1.5 turns out.
Set idle screw so that it has some sort of idle. With TORS it is the big screw under seat on top of
unit. With no TORS is is the brass screw midway down carb body.
Warm up motor and then set idle screw for a faster idle, 2000rpm+
Adjust air screw either way to get the fastest idle.
Adjust air screw a little at a time leaving 10 secs or until the motor responds.

Reset the idle for desired speed.

Idle speed adjusting.

Set float level, make sure that all jets are clean and fuel flows freely from the float bowl drain when
the screw is cracked open.
Start with air screw 1.5 turns out.
Set idle screw so that it has some sort of idle. With TORS it is the big screw under seat on top of
unit. With no TORS is is the brass screw midway down carb body.
Warm up motor and then set idle screw for a faster idle, 2000rpm+
Adjust air screw either way to get the fastest idle.
Adjust air screw a little at a time leaving 10 secs or until the motor responds.

Reset the idle for desired speed.
I will give that a try later today when I get off work. Float height is 21mm which I read on here to be correct for my mikuni carb correct me if I'm wrong?

Reactions: Blaaster
Daryl was there ever a resolve to this issue? I am having an identical issue. 2003 Blaster. Stock exhaust, all stock jets, clean carb, air screw 1.5 turns from seated. If I turn the idle up at all the bike runs horribly with poor throttle response and then revs up and hangs out before coming back to idle. Throttle response and the way the bike runs is perfect when idle knob is turned all the way down but it won't idle and is a pain to kick it everytime I stop.

a majority of the time when you have a hanging idle its contributed to a air leak. Do not run the motor anymore until you find the leak!

I couldn't find my air leak when I had hang rev and it was the crank seals only leaking when ran I guess , my crank was 5 different colors after it blew up and it would hold air during leak down like a champ