I think i blew it up

dcohen

May 26, 2008
well, i have a '98 blaster and it has always been my old faithful atv, i learned to ride on it and i have been giving it hell for 10 years now with no problems

but today my buddy was riding it and it mad a funny noise and cut off, when i started it back up it sounded like it was about to fly into pieces

it had plenty of oil in the tank so unless the auto-mixer went bad i dont think that it was an oil related problem

the engine still turns over but it doesnt feel right

ive never rebuilt an atv engine but i have rebuilt tractor engines and car engines so im pretty sure i can handle it if i have to

what do you guys think happened?

Last edited by a moderator:
pull the jug. i hope ur piston didn't fly apart cause splittin the cases sucks. never done it on a blaster but my buddy bought a yz250 that came in 3 boxes. no 2 parts were together :( so we are working on gettin it together. case halves are together now tho so i think we are past the most difficult stage.

thanks for fixin all the threads, i wasnt sure where to post

but yea, i rode the hell out of my blaster, we used to go up to west virginia to ride a lot and we would ride almost 100 miles some weekends

i dont think the piston came apart because it would still run and im pretty sure it wouldnt run if the piston was in pieces, unless maybe the skirt broke off

ok, after reading some other threads i have learned that there is only supposed to be .69 quarts of oil in the crankase

last time i changed it i put in a full quart (cause the girl workin at the yamaha place told me thats how much it held)

could that have anything to do with my problem?

ill dont have a compression guage so i will have to borrow one from my grandpaw

ill let yall know what i find