I need help settinig the timing

BustedassYZ

Apr 6, 2010
New Port Richey, Florida
Anyone know how to work on one of these? :-/

bristolherculessleevege.gif

i know how. its my secret so if you drive to az ill charge you 10,000 bucks cause only i know how. that thing looks like something outta a horror movie

Thats either a Allison or a Royals Royce ;) vintage 1920-1935 i would say. Looks pretty standard for a rotary configuration. Whats your problem.

Nah, that's an awesome picture and even better caption. I just know what the gear train on a slide sleeve radial engine looks like.

That one is a great picture of the opened gear drive assembly on a bristol hercules 14 cylinder.

Nah, it's not like that. Just a history/enginnering buff. I was really impressed with those engines. They were 2,300 cubic inches and put out like 1,200 hp. Not too bad for the 1940's.

I actually developed what I found out later was a double sleeve slide cylinder as an engineering project. I didn't know that someone had made that but I determined that the geardrive pictured would end up being the downfall to making one that was simpler than a pushrod poppet valve engine. The double sleeve has less moving parts (except for the gear drive) than a rockerarm poppet assembly and allows for adjusting overlap and duration independently while never allowing for an inference piston on valve at any timing setting.

I actually developed what I found out later was a double sleeve slide cylinder as an engineering project. I didn't know that someone had made that but I determined that the geardrive pictured would end up being the downfall to making one that was simpler than a pushrod poppet valve engine. The double sleeve has less moving parts (except for the gear drive) than a rockerarm poppet assembly and allows for adjusting overlap and duration independently while never allowing for an inference piston on valve at any timing setting.

HUH........... :/

Woah thats cool as heck! But talk about a headache.

Looked around youtube for more vids of those, really cool stuff!

heres one running.

And heres a lawnmower sleeve valve engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
kgibson, I started thinking about the ways to combine the advantages of a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke. I drew a double sleeve cylinder 4 stroke engine out and was planning stages when someone brought to my attention it's already been made. I didn't get the idea from somewhere else, simply arrived at the conclusion that a 4 stroke engine with 2 stroke ports would be very efficient. Turns out it was!

Instead of a regular 4 stroke engine where valves will either hit each other or the piston, each sleeve port can be made differently to adjust the timing independent of the other ports.