How to take chain off

follow the chain around and you will see a masterlinkpuch the clip off with a flat screwdriver take off that link and then slide the chain off

your kidding right? youve never taken a chain off a bike or anything!
ALRIGHT EVERYBODY pay close attention

look for the master link, it has a clip on it, it should be facing the outside of the bike, after you found the master link take a flathead screwdriver and needle nose pliers and take the clip off, dont loose it, after that the link is off the link should slide right out but if it doesnt youll have to take a hammer and a screwdriver and pry it out

your kidding right? youve never taken a chain off a bike or anything!
ALRIGHT EVERYBODY pay close attention

look for the master link, it has a clip on it, it should be facing the outside of the bike, after you found the master link take a flathead screwdriver and needle nose pliers and take the clip off, dont loose it, after that the link is off the link should slide right out but if it doesnt youll have to take a hammer and a screwdriver and pry it out

You are right here... it's a little different taking a chain off a bike then a atv.... a chain on a bike is a little more flexible and most of the time can just be popped off or if not loosen up the back wheel and take it off... that is nothing like taking one off an ATV. I am new to EVERYTHING when it comes to working on a ATV. I know some of my questions may seem simple to most but all I'm doing is trying to learn something but thanks anyways... this is the last thing I needed to get off and tomorrow I should have to motor off the frame.

also you can take the front sprocket off or loosen the 2 bolts on your carrier then loosen the chain tensioners

Ummmmm if is stock it may not have a master link guys. I think Yamaha did this for a few years. I know my Suzuki street bike was that way. I did about 30 rotations before I found out that it came with out a master. (Had to cut the link out to shorten the chain)

lol i had one without a master link but 97's 3rd reply deals with no master link

Thanks a lot everyone... I got the master link out and motor is now off the frame. I will start now with the tare down to see what all is wrong and what all I need to replace.

but if it doesnt youll have to take a hammer and a screwdriver and pry it out

That will work, but I always preech to use the right tools for the Job.

Get a chain breaker. Motionpro sells them and they are cheap. It will make breaking a chain painless. This tool will also help you press the master link back together.