how to get the flywheel off without the puller

2slow

Jul 31, 2011
how do you get the flywheel off with out the puller? do you really need it? and are there any outher tools you can use to hold the flywheel to get the nut off?

X2 mmajay

Don't try to pull that flywheel without a flywheel puller or your next post on here will be in the classifieds "wanted" looking for a replacement flywheel or crankshaft. The biggest headache about a puller isn't even the money they only cost like $10 on ebay, it's waiting for them they take a few days to arrive but believe me; they're worth the wait.

oh ok yea i hear what your saying. guess i gotta wait on my outher parts then *kicks rocks*

The good news is, flywheel pullers don't evaporate. Next time you need it, it'll still be there!

LOL small consolation for the few days of rock kicking ahead.

haha yea i hear ya im not worried about the flywheel i have a spare one i got off my brother. i just polished it one day when i was bored lol. thinking about getting it shaved what are the pros and cons of getting a flywheel shaved?

hey duder, i have an alternative for ya that wont damage anything .a strap wrench from craftsman
i just used one, takes a second to get it set right but it works like a champ. ps get a friend to help hold things.

hmmm have you done the strap on? i mean strap wrench? LOL just messin. seems like it might work

i just got done replacing my stator coils yesterday . worked for me for removal and installation.
borrowed mine from my gramp( he uses it to loosen the lids on jars!) but i dont think they are that expensive but i could be wrong.

yeah, to get the nut off. I was thinking you were suggesting a method for the title " how to get the flywheel off without the puller". Something was lost in translation....

Yes, a strap wrench will work for removing the nut but so will a simple flywheel holding tool... you can go buy a 1" wide piece of flat stock from the hardware store. Cut one strip about 8" long and drill a hole big enough that a 8mm bolt will fit through it. Take the balance of the length (they usually sell it in 3" pieces so the other 28" dill a hole at one end and then about 8" up from that end drill another hole. Put a bolt in each of the end holes and then bolt the two strips together loosely. The bolts at the end make a "spanner wrench" to fit down into the flywheel. Total cost is about $8

yeah it can be made easily but si theres one thing you are taking for granted. not everybody has the same resouces and knowledge you do. i dont know the bud that needs the help personally but i usually give advice based on the people im helping not having the resources a lot of us have.
and si you ARE one smart motha fugga when it comes to all this shat! youve helped me a bunch before.