How to Change the bottom steering stem bushings and o-rings

slickerthanyou

Dec 23, 2009
If ya have some up and down play in your steering (you can check this by standing on your quad pegs and pulling up on the handle bars, if ya have some movement then ya need to replace them. The manual says use new cotter pins, I reused mine as they were only months old.

1. Take off tierods where they connect to the stem, to do this remove the cotter pin, remove the nut with a 11/16 socket and use a separator tool looks like a big fork and wedge it between the joint and the stem push down and pop it will come out. Now do the same to the other side.

2. Remove all the connections on the key start switch, run/light switch, and headlight if ya have one.

3. Remove both perch levers and also the throttle assembly from the handlebars.

4. Remove the cotter pin from the steering stem nut and remove the nut and washer it is a 9/16 socket.

5. Loosen the bolts on the upper stem clamp. 12MM socket.

6. Pull the stem up about 18 inches or so until it is out of the bottom mount. this will give you enough room to press the new mounts in.

7. I used a flat plade screw driver and pounded the mounts out, you could use a punch also, I just couldn't find mine. It helps to get the top mount out if ya stand the quad up on its grab bar.

8. Now clean the bracket out before you put the new bushings in. I put a film of grease inside before I put the new ones in.

9. I also installed the o-rings with grease on them- inside the bushings before ya put them on. just easier

10. I used the 11/16 socket and 1/2 inch extension and my little sledge to pound the bottom bushing in it only takes a few light bangs, You could use a c-clamp if your anal.

11. The upper bushing is a biotch, as there isn't much room for pounding, so the c-clamp worked like a charm.

12. Slide your stem down into the hole carefully, and put the washer and nut back on tighten to 22 FT LBS max. Put cotter pin in and bend the larger piece over the stub.

13. Now tighten the upper mount to 17 FT LBS max.

14. Put the tierods back on the stem mount and tighten the nut to 18 FT LBS max. put the cotter pins back in bending the longer part over the stem of the threads.

15. Now put all the levers and throttle assembly back on and connect all the wiring back up. Double check everthing! GO RIDING!!!!!

TOOLS-
dsc01800.jpg

dsc01802.jpg

Part numbers-Ya need two bushings and two o-rings same numbers for top and bottom
dsc01795.jpg

dsc01796.jpg

Pic of o-ring inside bushing-
dsc01799.jpg

Pic of me snapping the stud end of the stem because I used too many muscles-dammit!
dsc01803.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: brandoz28
Nice write up bro.You need a stem bob,I will send you one if so.LMK

I tried to give you some green but they won't met me.lol

Hey Ian , thanks for the offer, I'm gonna hit the locals up and then hit the salvage place, My son has a ride scheduled for tomorrow in the afternoon, but offer is greatly appriciated!