how many hours for piston and bearings

bonzaiking

Nov 28, 2009
ridderkerk holland
hi i just installed an hour meter does anyone know how long before i have to change the piston?? and how many hours for bearings??

my blaster has a 244cc ct kit 45 horces

S6001381-2.jpg

that will vary so much. depends on how well you maintain it.
people can get over 100hour on the top end without a problem. as for bearings, just make sure you grease the ones you can.

to be honest an hour meter won't tell you anything other than how many hours are on the motor. Compression and Leak Down Tests will give you exact information you can use to determine when a rebuild is needed. Visual inspections of the piston can be made through the intake by removing the reed cage , but you can only see so much . Upon inspection of my Banshee this week-end I found a cracked piston skirt wich tells me no matter how good the compression is , and no matter how few hours I have on the motor , I need a top end rebuild .
No substitute for real testing and inspections

that will vary so much. depends on how well you maintain it.

/\/\/\ exactly, i had my first blaster, an brand new '96, rode it hard, blew out shocks, bent and replaced the frame, went thru 4 sets of tires, prolly 6-7 chains, and sold it with the stock piston still in it with good compression and started 1-2 kicks every time

we know the guy i bought my blaster off of and it is on the 3rd set of rings but stock piston, stock crank. its a 99 so 12 years on the same piston. its all in maintenence

since you have a high performance motor,i would say do atleast a top end rebuild every winter...you have an engine that needs to be maintained more the the ussual...but like Sheeblast said it all depends on how you ride...

Might need to be rebuilt tomorrow or 10 years from now. Time isn't the issue. Riding style, how well you take care of it in maintenance and jetting, and the parts you choose to use make that difference. Just measure the compression. If the compression is within spec limits, then it's fine.

Since yours is a street bike I would say your top end may have a good long lifespan . The motor gets more abuse in the woods , lots of revving and shifting versus traffic conditions . Street driving is far easier on a engine , just the terrain alone is the huge difference .

Since yours is a street bike I would say your top end may have a good long lifespan . The motor gets more abuse in the woods , lots of revving and shifting versus traffic conditions . Street driving is far easier on a engine , just the terrain alone is the huge difference .

very interesting what you say we always say i't's the other way around we think driving a blaster on the road puts more strain on the motor becouse of the long straits the bigend bearing is overheating fast, on a mx track you go on the gas shift and then brake again don't underestemate my gearing (31/14) i'm not saying you are wrong but it's nice to think about it together;)

very interesting what you say we always say i't's the other way around we think driving a blaster on the road puts more strain on the motor becouse of the long straits the bigend bearing is overheating fast, on a mx track you go on the gas shift and then brake again don't underestemate my gearing (31/14) i'm not saying you are wrong but it's nice to think about it together;)

Yea, I was wondering that as well. I guess it goes somewhat both ways. On pavement, you are running high RPMs and combating heat alot and off road you are handling a lot of varying torque loads on the engine when it goes over bumps and the engine RPMs vary back and forth.