How do I remove rust on exhaust pipe?

YFS200 Lover

May 1, 2015
I need the remove rust on my 1999 yamaha blaster. I have a FMF Power stroke 2 pipe. Need help.

I need the remove rust on my 1999 yamaha blaster. I have a FMF Power stroke 2 pipe. Need help.

depending on how bad it is, wire wheel on a grinder. thats what i used. note you will probably need to paint it afterwards

for light rust around weld seams, you can use a small wire wheel on a hand held drill. works wonders

depending on the finish you want, sand paper works decent for some rust

if its just minor rusting, use steel wool and water

if you have bad pitting, use the grinder with a wire wheel and paint it afterwards

I used aluminum foil folded up and water! Water creates a chemical reaction with the pipe and aluminum foil that eats the stuff away :D
Coke and Alum foil will clean chrome will clean surface rust good . If the chrome is pitted down to the nickel plate you will have to re-plate.

Reactions: Jeff Bennett
Aluminum foil and water. Pic is after
PhotoGrid_1394548410511.jpg
only about 30min of work

4 hours with rubbing compound and one of those cone things on my drill and then polished after. The before looked pretty close to the lower left picture above only mine had that blue/purple tint to it near the flange connection as well

Aluminum foil and water i works amazing good and after aluminum and water i would use mothers rubbing compound and a buffer

what I did, and found it really simple, is I used a wire wheel as mentioned above, hooked it up to my angle grinder. (I first tried with sand paper but took me forever and a day to get a tiny piece done!)
mine was pretty badly rusted everywhere...

For the smaller, hard to reach places, I used a Dremel hand tool with a wire wheel tip on.

After that, I took a steel brush with Liquer thinners and finished it off. That helped to eat the last of the rust off.

Then I re-sprayed it with heat resistant spray, and voìlà! looks good as new!