help!!!

jerseyblaster

May 23, 2013
new jeresy
How you doing guys , my friend here just did everything in the book to his blaster fresh bore and hone, fresh cdi,reeds,carb,the bike has fuel and spark but it will not turn over , we cracked the carb bowl to make sure gas is getting through but still no start any suggestions .

Has he messed with the flywheel or magneto recently ? I would say make sure the woodruf key is in place, make sure the timing is correct if he has adjustable stator or has done the DIY timing mod. Make sure the petcock is to the on position ... I'm sure others will chime in with suggestions as well.

Will not turn over ? Will the engine spin over and not start or will it not turn over at all? Did you check the plug to see if its wet ? If its flooded, it won't start. I would also do a compression check on it.

The flywheel and stator has been changed recently he doesn't know how to set a timing on it .that actually may be the problem caused I've checked everything ,by I haven't checked that honestly I didn't know you had to set timing when changing a stator ,I should of though of that ...any other suggestions?ooh and compression checked out fine also....I love this forum yamaha.

I believe he told me it sat and held at 180 or something along those lines,I can be wrong but I do know he just got the bore and hone and they checked the compression then and it was very good the mechanic said he hasn't ridden it since the shop but we did Change the stator and we def didn't mark it ......how do I set it???

we did Change the stator and we def didn't mark it ......how do I set it???

a stock stator isn't adjustable, set it and forget it :D

the woodruff key on the flywheel sets the timing, it must be present and in the slot

If I'm getting spark It would have to be in wouldn't it?

no, it could be sparking at the wrong time if the woodruff key is missing or sheared, allowing the flywheel to slip out of time.
pull the flywheel to check if the key is present, and in both slots....in the flywheel and on the crank

Pull the flywheel cover off and try to spin the flywheel. If it spins easily and freely then the woodruff key is broken. It should be pretty difficult to spin by hand.

ok guys ,i pulled the flywheel to find that the wudruff key broken ,is that normal for a wudruff key to break ,i hope thats the issue everything else is fine

I would say that you need to get another woodruff key, lap the flywheel to the crank, and you should be fine. It's definitely out of time. I forgot to put my woodruff key in when I rebuilt my motor last year and it ran in reverse!! Haha I have a video of it... Kinda funny. Anyway, do that and you should be all setm

ok guys ,i pulled the flywheel to find that the wudruff key broken ,is that normal for a wudruff key to break ,i hope thats the issue everything else is fine

the woodruff key is only for aligning the timing marks, not for holding the flywheel tight.
thats the job of the interference fit of the tapered shaft and the cooresponding inside taper of the flywheel.
broken keys are usually caused when that interference fit gets worn/loose.
lapping the flywheel to the taper of the shaft usually cures that.

use medium grit valve grinding compound, a finger full smeared on the taper of the crank will do, throw the flywheel on there and rotate back and forth until you feel it start to grab the taper.
this is lapping the 2 tapers back to there original tight fit, clean with brake cleaner when done,
repeat if necessary.

this will keep the flywheel from turning, when the nut/thick washer are tightened to spec torque,
and keep the woodruff key from doing the work of the tapered interference fit, and shearing them