HELP!!

jvigoo

Mar 15, 2024
Hey everyone one I'm very new to 2 strokes and I decided to get a balster haha, I have a 97 blaster and rode it for 2 hrs and the top end blew, got a new top end on it, was running great noticed that the case was leaking oil so I decided to pull it apart and regasket everything did that got it back together and now it seems like it's "bogging" in 3rd gear 1st and 2nd run fine but last week it was running fine too. Please help thank you!!!

Welcome aboard. Sorry you're having trouble.

So a couple questions to clear things up. You said it was running fine last week. Was this before or after the top end replacement?

The case leaking oil, I assume you are talking about transmission oil and you replaced the clutch cover gasket to address the leak?

Also, were you able to ascertain the reason the top on blew in the first place? Most common reason a top end let's go is due to an air leak at the crank seals, base gasket, or intake gaskets causing a lean condition. Top ends generally don't pop for now reason. And if that reason was not addressed in the rebuild, the new top end will be destined for premature failure.

Top end replacement, did you use quality parts as opposed to Amazon Chinesium? I only use Wiseco replacement pistons and quality aftermarket gaskets and seals. Cheap parts have their place, but many times going with cheap parts on things like a rebuild will end up costing you in the longer run and sometimes even the short run.

The bogging.... We need to figure out if it is a lean bog or rich bog. Being that you state you are new to 2-strokes I assume you might not be sure how to tell.

A lean bog will be a smooth loss of power and there will be very little to no smoke coming out of the exhaust.

A rich bog will be sort of blubbery, kind of sounds like the engine is drowning. This will also produce excess smoke out of the exhaust.

Does your Blaster still have the TORS system in place? This is a safety system designed to interrupt the ignition in the event the throttle sticks open. If this is malfunctioning it could cause issues like you are describing.

Have a go at these questions and we will start figuring out where your problem lies.

Welcome aboard. Sorry you're having trouble.

So a couple questions to clear things up. You said it was running fine last week. Was this before or after the top end replacement?

The case leaking oil, I assume you are talking about transmission oil and you replaced the clutch cover gasket to address the leak?

Also, were you able to ascertain the reason the top on blew in the first place? Most common reason a top end let's go is due to an air leak at the crank seals, base gasket, or intake gaskets causing a lean condition. Top ends generally don't pop for now reason. And if that reason was not addressed in the rebuild, the new top end will be destined for premature failure.

Top end replacement, did you use quality parts as opposed to Amazon Chinesium? I only use Wiseco replacement pistons and quality aftermarket gaskets and seals. Cheap parts have their place, but many times going with cheap parts on things like a rebuild will end up costing you in the longer run and sometimes even the short run.

The bogging.... We need to figure out if it is a lean bog or rich bog. Being that you state you are new to 2-strokes I assume you might not be sure how to tell.

A lean bog will be a smooth loss of power and there will be very little to no smoke coming out of the exhaust.

A rich bog will be sort of blubbery, kind of sounds like the engine is drowning. This will also produce excess smoke out of the exhaust.

Does your Blaster still have the TORS system in place? This is a safety system designed to interrupt the ignition in the event the throttle sticks open. If this is malfunctioning it could cause issues like you are describing.

Have a go at these questions and we will start figuring out where your problem lies.
The whole case where it meets in the middle was leaking and I'm unsure why the top blow it had low compression when I got it home didn't realize that when I got it, and it's more like I shift into 3rd and it's on crusie controller, thank you for replying!!

The whole case where it meets in the middle was leaking and I'm unsure why the top blow it had low compression when I got it home didn't realize that when I got it, and it's more like I shift into 3rd and it's on crusie controller, thank you for replying!!
And it dose still have oem tors unit

We need to figure out if your issue is caused by a lean condition, a rich condition, or possibly the TORS unit malfunctioning.

Hey everyone one I'm very new to 2 strokes and I decided to get a balster haha, I have a 97 blaster and rode it for 2 hrs and the top end blew, got a new top end on it, was running great noticed that the case was leaking oil so I decided to pull it apart and regasket everything did that got it back together and now it seems like it's "bogging" in 3rd gear 1st and 2nd run fine but last week it was running fine too. Please help thank you!!!

Clean your carb, reset float height to factory specs(level). Flush tank and install new filter inline to carb with arrow on filter pointed towards carb. Set mixture screw on carb to factory specifications. Check for cracked or leaking reeds. Replace as needed. Has tors be deleted??? If not adjust throttle switch to factory specifications. This can cause hesitation due to switch mis-adjustmented see Yamaha method in online factory settings and method. This is one of most common problems.

Reactions: RIDE-RED350r
Clean your carb, reset float height to factory specs(level). Flush tank and install new filter inline to carb with arrow on filter pointed towards carb. Set mixture screw on carb to factory specifications. Check for cracked or leaking reeds. Replace as needed. Has tors be deleted??? If not adjust throttle switch to factory specifications. This can cause hesitation due to switch mis-adjustmented see Yamaha method in online factory settings and method. This is one of most common problems.