help with rear axle

JuicyOX

Mar 29, 2009
Texas
hey fellas im new to this blasterforum and was wondering if yall could help me with a problem i got on my 2004 blaster. took it to yamaha n they said it would be 470 something to change the bearings and seals. they said the bearings were all shattered and would have to be knocked out.

i said screw that ill just do it myself and i kno its bad cuz i grab the tires and shook them and it all moves around also the rear tires lock up sometimes when i ride. how much would just buying the parts run me? also what size are those locknuts on the axle? i kinda have an idea how to take the axle off and changing the bearings/seals but im no expert any advice yall could give me would be greatly appreciated. thanks

look on ebay would be ur best bet, or even just buying an a/m banshee axle off someone here, or ebay, save you time, and give you a decent upgrade, as it is wider than stock blaster axle, jmo, but if you want to just buy seals and bearings, go ebay, rjatv, motorsports.com, there are so many

LOL 21 bucks. Basically just take chain brakes and nuts off. Then you beat the gear side of the axle out of the carrier. from left to right. I just left mine on the quad and was swinging a 4x4 block about a foot long at it. This way you will only screw the wood up, it took a few hits. Or you can take the carrier off and do the same, but will have to readjust the chain. 470 is the biggest rip ever here is a link for some.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yama...139106QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Last edited by a moderator:
Its simple to take off the axle. All you have to do is removed the hubs, and tires, then remove the two lock nuts, and then bang out the axle. Seals and bearings run around $30 on ebay and are easy to replace, just knock them out and just tap them in with a two by four. Make sure you clean the carrier before putting in the bearings and seals.

thx guys thats some useful information and what size are those locknuts on the axle? i thought it was 1 7/8 but i think im wrong cuz im having trouble with those locknuts

There $8.76. is that to much for you?

That must be the price for the locknut.The wrenches are a mm size.Not sure what one though.I just use a 18" adjustable wrench.Opens up to 2 1/4 I think and is more than strong for what you(and I) need.RMATV sells the axle wrenches in the mm sizes if you go that route.Also when taking them off you need to use double wrenches turning each one opposite of each other and the nuts should loosen right up.You could also use a pipe wrench just use some electrical tape and try to pad it so you don't scar it up.Hope this helps

yah i thought the price was pretty crazy but im just waiting on the parts i ordered and gonna start working on it. ill let yall kno if i run into any problems. thanks again for yalls help

dealerships cost the most because they know the most. they train and train and get the newest information about the brand that they service. i will always go to the yamaha dealer for gaskets, bearings, nuts, or bolts.

dealerships cost the most because they know the most. they train and train and get the newest information about the brand that they service. i will always go to the yamaha dealer for gaskets, bearings, nuts, or bolts.

I agree completly on top of that since there privately owned, most of the time your supporting local buisness.