Help with gear oil change.

Chris88

Sep 9, 2015
After I change the oil and run the bike for a minute the oil goes below minimum mark on sight glass. When it settles it's bang in middle of the lines. Is this fine? Any help is appreciated

Providing you put the correct amount of oil in It is fine, after riding the oil take some time to migrate back the the part of the case that has the oil sight window.

I never trust the window when filling, I measure 650ml and pour it in.

Providing you put the correct amount of oil in It is fine, after riding the oil take some time to migrate back the the part of the case that has the oil sight window.

I never trust the window when filling, I measure 650ml and pour it in.

Right iv run it and let it stand for an hour and it's just below the upper mark on the sight glass? Will that be right?

When the bike is running, the oil gets thrown around. I've never been able to see the oil in the glass while it's running. And if you do then it's probably over filled. Once bike isn't running and sitting, oil will show in window, or should anyways. Like stated 650 ml.
A good practice is to have a container that can be drained into that's marked at a 650ml mark. That way when you drain the oil you know how much is coming out as well, so you can keep an eye on your crank seal. However, you'll never see an exact drain amout at 650ml being some will stay in the cover.

Reactions: Chris88
After I change the oil and run the bike for a minute the oil goes below minimum mark on sight glass. When it settles it's bang in middle of the lines. Is this fine? Any help is appreciated

put 650ml of oil in it its about 3/4 of 1 qt but measure it.
every bottle says it on the side.
if it is not leaking on ground or burning it through cylinder it is fine.

i would say sight glass is good for if you are burning or dripping oil without changing it completely out:D

Last edited:
put 650ml of oil in it its about 3/4 of 1 qt but measure it.
every bottle says it on the side.
if it is not leaking on ground or burning it through cylinder it is fine.

i would say sight glass is good for if you are burning or dripping oil without changing it completely out:D

I will measure out 650ml and do it that way to be safe