Help choosing exhaust, need it spark arrested...yah I searched

xj1514

Apr 24, 2011
Ive been searching for a couple days now and cant come to a conclusion. Start off by saying I have an FMF turbine core universal fit spark arrestor I was using on my 98 KX 250, I have contemplated trying to get retro fitted, but cant find a midpipe. In other words, after the header pipe stops and typically the long midsection that attatches to the silencer comes into play, my universal fit falls way short and doesnt have a drastic enough bend. it looks like I could hack off the stock pipe and fit it to the silencer, but I think the stock pipe has a smaller diameter.

Any how on to the good stuff. I gotta buy something soon. The fiances Blaster has an FMF fatty and turbine core arrestor that runs circles around my stock setup. I read the FMF is only good on the low end primarilly. Well, I dont ride there, I ride mid to high. I have a new cylinder bore job with a 66.5mm Wiseco pro lite piston. Plans this winter are porting and head work. I want a pipe that will support that.

Ive looked at FMF Fatty with a turbine core.
Toomey B1. Not a huge fan of pay extra for a spark arrestor. Can i fit a turbine core on onto their stinger pipe?
F7 from project blaster. Cant seem to be able to buy just the pipe, I dont want their silencer, I need a spark arrestor.
LRD. Same issues, what spark arrestor fits?
Also, I dont like Toomeys spark arrestor add on.

In my area, no spark arrestor equals large fines and must have the USFS stamp on the silencer, sorry no diy deals. They are also checking decibal levels. Someone steer me here in short order please.

Last edited:
Ive been searching for a couple days now and cant come to a conclusion. Start off by saying I have an FMF turbine core universal fit spark arrestor I was using on my 98 KX 250, I have contemplated trying to get retro fitted, but cant find a midpipe. In other words, after the header pipe stops and typically the long midsection that attatches to the silencer comes into play, my universal fit falls way short and doesnt have a drastic enough bend. it looks like I could hack off the stock pipe and fit it to the silencer, but I think the stock pipe has a smaller diameter.

Any how on to the good stuff. I gotta buy something soon. The fiances Blaster has an FMF fatty and turbine core arrestor that runs circles around my stock setup. I read the FMF is only good on the low end primarilly. Well, I dont ride there, I ride mid to high. I have a new cylinder bore job with a 66.5mm Wiseco pro lite piston. Plans this winter are porting and head work. I want a pipe that will support that.

Ive looked at FMF Fatty with a turbine core.
Toomey B1. Doesnt have a spark arrestor. Can i fit a turbine core on?
F7 from project blaster. Cant seem to be able to buy just the pipe, I dont want their silencer, I need a spark arrestor.
LRD. Same issues, what spark arrestor fits?
Also, I dont like Toomeys spark arrestor add on.

In my area, no spark arrestor equals large fines and must have the USFS stamp on the silencer, sorry no diy deals. They are also checking decibal levels. Someone steer me here in short order please.

CT makes a spark arrestor for their silencer.....no clue on USFS stamp though.

After that the only thing that comes to mind is Pro Circuits 296 silencer which is quieter and has a spark arrestor....still don't know if it has a USFS sticker though.
Type 296 Spark Arrestor/ATVs - ATV 2-Stroke Type 296 Spark Arrestor - procircuit.com

I might have your solution.....maybe.

The FMF fatty pipe is a low-mid pipe. HOWEVER, FMF does make the SST pipe as well which is a mid-top end pipe. You can run that same TurbineCore 2 or Q silencer which has a spark arrestor and is USFS stamped.

Your solution sounds good. Here is one more I came up with. Toomey B1, buy their stinger pipe, and fit my turbine core to it. From all the reading I believe Toomey to be the best performance wise, but you bring when you mention the noise issue, mabye the FMF pipe you mentioned would be lowed DB rating.

Ok, so the SST looks good to me, but I still would need the stinger/mid pipe. My FMF Turbine core only has like 6" straight to a 45 degree elbow then 6" straight again. Ugh. Am I reading too far into pipes here and being too cheap at the same time? I was trying to save 100 bucks since I have the spark arrestor already.

I do believe that the B1 with stinger pipe to my Turbinecore will work, but I dont want to buy all this and find it wont, its riding season afterall.

How much difference between say the SST with turbine core VS B1 with a turbine core would I notice? Again just porting, reeds, open airbox, new bore and piston for now.

Performance should be similar with the 2, Toomey is probably gonna give ya a bit more mids and top, with the advance circuitry, but that REALLY goes for running in unison with their silencer. BUT, the TOOMEY is probably gonna exceed your needed DB levels, just my $.02...

They will sound the exact same. Sound is attributed mostly to the silencer, not the pipe. Will they fit up the same? That I don't know. Maybe some of the owners out there with those pipes can measure up the diameters of the pipes and see if they will slide up with each other.

They will sound the exact same.

Ummmmmmm, No.
The SST will NOT sound/produce the same DB's the Toomey will.
Yes, MOST of the noise levels, as said, will be attributed to the silencer but the circuitry is very different between the Toomey and the SST.

But, as said, you really do not know what is gonna match up to the arrestor until you test fit, have diameter #'s for R&D, etc.

I can provide Toomey diameter info, etc, just say the word if need be...

Ummmmmmm, No.
The SST will NOT sound/produce the same DB's the Toomey will.
Yes, MOST of the noise levels, as said, will be attributed to the silencer but the circuitry is very different between the Toomey and the SST.

But, as said, you really do not know what is gonna match up to the arrestor until you test fit, have diameter #'s for R&D, etc.

I can provide Toomey diameter info, etc, just say the word if need be...

I bet you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two if I swapped pipes with the same silencer without prior knowledge of it happening.

trinty has a spark arrestor set up but isnt cheap...i would just grab an fmf turbine core..silencers dont do much for power regardless of the brand

I run a DMC Alien, USFS approved stamped right on spark arrestor and arrestor does not hinder performance, It is not a right bend but a sweet pipe. It is a mid-high piep but I have compensated by gearing down through sprockets so I did not suffer in the low, it is not extremely expensive. No one here runs them though so nothing but speculations if you ask.

I run a DMC Alien, USFS approved stamped right on spark arrestor and arrestor does not hinder performance, It is not a right bend but a sweet pipe. It is a mid-high piep but I have compensated by gearing down through sprockets so I did not suffer in the low, it is not extremely expensive. No one here runs them though so nothing but speculations if you ask.

Does DMC still make pipes? :-/ I remember back in the BlasterHQ and Bluetraxx days it was a popular pipe.

ive got an alien pipe for my blaster and it does NOT have the arrestor included, but i added one to mine to be legal in the ORV parks and it has absolutely no effect on power.
the pipe isnt going to have stump pulling torque but in the lowmid to medium high revs its a great pipe with no real hit in power and a very smooth curve till it tapers off on the topend.
for general trail bashing and duning id recommend this pipe.

the extra for the spark arrestor new is like 55 bucks but im sure you could find a used one. Also i agree, i believe it has the sickest sound of all the pipes. Most prefer the toomey sound but I love me some dmc alien exhaust notes in the background. Banshee with these pies sounds even more wicked.

i know the blaster and banshee dont compare, but i road a buddies banshee with the dmc pipes and man did she scream. Sounded good too. He has had those pipes for a few years now and they still look new with a little discoloration and some dirt, but all around they are holding up awesome.