help blaster wont run new top end

03blasta

Nov 6, 2012
Wisconsin
well i was pretty excited last night cuz my stepdad and i threw the blaster back together last night. we installed the new .030 piston and what not along with the base gasket reed cage gasket head gasket and exhaust gasket. anyways we got the motor put all back together and hooked up the exhaust, carb, intake, reeds, and everything and put the plastics back on. we fired it up and it was running great all three times we fired it up. we would fire it up and let it idle for like 15-20 minutes then shut her down. this morning i rolled the blasty out and filled the holeshots with air and put some screws into the plastic that i lost the night before. i fired it up 3 more times and let it idle and gave it just a little tiny bit of gas once in a while all three times. then after it cooled down after the third time i figured this time i'll plop her down into first and take a nice slow ride around the yard so i did and i went around a loop in our driveway and then went out onto the lawn i was riding through the ditch when the blaster just quit. i tryed kicking it and there was still compression and everything but it just wouldnt run sometimes it would run but really poorly like it would just kind gurgle it sounded like. it wouldnt idle right it would just kind of run reeeally slow and quietly i'm a little low on gas but there should still be enough for it to run. i checked over everything the gas was on so i tryed reserve same thing happened. anybody have any clue whats going on? i wasnt running her hard by any means i was just riding first nice and slow cruising around the yard and it just died:-/

You leak test that motor after assembling to make sure everything sealed properly.

6 heat cycles of 15-20 minutes a peice like u say. ( 3 the first night 3 the following) then the small ride is more then enough time to put a hurting on a engine.

Id would check the compression, and maybe pop the exhaust off and look up the exhaust port with a flashlight to check out the piston. At least rule it out as a problem.

is your plug fouled from granny riding it?

i guess it's possible and i'm running a BR9EG plug from our snowmobile right now because we didnt have a br8es plug laying around. i dont have a goddamn leak tester so icant leak test. the motor did seem a little hot when i rolled it back into the shed i dont know if that helps any. it wasnt like frying hot but it was pretty warm:-/

Check your reed cage/reed petals for chips, cracks, see if there in place and sealing against the cage properly !

UPDATE: i just went out and kicked it and it fired right up first kick on half choke i let it run a while then took it off choke. it idled just fine as if nothing ever happened i let it idle for like ten minutes then got on to try another ride. i hit throttle a and it coughed a little bit and died. i tryed kicking it again and it wouldnt start but all the compressioin is good. so for some reason it died when i hit the throttle cuz it was runnin like a champ while it was idling. please help:-/

i should maybe mention that we were working on the throttle to carb last night as well we fixed our problem though because the cable wasnt attatched up in the tors above the carb so that is fixed but that was before i had this problem like i said it was idling just fine when i fired it up even after it died on me out on the lawn, but as soon as i touched that throttle she coughed and died and then wouldnt fire up.

You may have developed an air leak as I see no mention of re tensioning the head and jug bolts after the heat cycles.

Question, why did it die before the rebuild?

You may have developed an air leak as I see no mention of re tensioning the head and jug bolts after the heat cycles.

Question, why did it die before the rebuild?

Well I believe it died before because of 1.wear and 2.poor jetting. It blew up during a snowy ride In December most likely because it has stock jetting with a k&n air filter and it was below freezing so that combo with stock jets probly doesn't do a lot of good for the motor. And the motor was never rebuilt prior so it was about ready to go anyway. Should I try re torquing the head bolts and see what happens?

Leak test, clean the petcock, clean the carby, adjust the float level and set the idle.

Put some gas in the tank, re tension the head (20ft lb) and jug (18ft lb ) and try again.

Yeah I would Strongly recommend that you do no riding till you leak test it.

Buy one off Awk 08

Or search the forum. Get the material list and go build ur own. It's pretty easy. I would say your leaking somewhere and that's gonna lead to another rebuild of u don't fix it.

Whatever you do. No riding till you fix it. I would air on the side of caution here. That's a lot of money to have to do it all over!

hey guys i'm so happy i figured out and fixed the problem on my blaster. you wouldnt believe how stupid i feel right now because the reason it wasnt running was because i had left shop towels in the intake boot from the last time i cleaned it. so i take it the motor couldnt get any air to begin with then no fuel because engine suction caused the shop towels to rip up and get stuck in the carby and a little in the reed cage. we took the reed cage off and the plug out and slowly kicked it over. we watched it for like ten minutes and luckily from several different angles we never saw any pieces of shop towel in the cylinder. Thank God! now the blasty runs just fine so i got away lucky that the reeds stopped the freekin towel pieces from getting in the cylinder. i felt so stupid and got called a dumbass by my stepdad lol

How in the hell did u manage to get the bike to start to begin with?

If your had towels in there how did you do the heat cycles.

You really did get lucky.... Or at least hopefully. Shop towels between a piston and cylinder wall. Or in the crank could have turned out terrible.

How in the hell did u manage to get the bike to start to begin with?

If your had towels in there how did you do the heat cycles.

You really did get lucky.... Or at least hopefully. Shop towels between a piston and cylinder wall. Or in the crank could have turned out terrible.

oh yeah i know i was worried at first but my stepdad got on it and rode around for like 10-15 minutes and it was running just fine so that was a big relief. we took the silencer end cap off so if there was any debris in the engine it would hopefully spit it right out the exhaust, but he said he never saw any come out so thank god for reed cages!!!! lol :-[

I think it would be safe to pull the top end off and check for anythig, you never know.

But your call

I agree, you were kicking it a good number of times trying to solve your problem.

If they got mashed in there good who knows there could still be little pieces. I would take the cylinder off and clean it/ make sure it is clean. Only takes a little time and you can feel better about knowing for sure ya know.

My motto is better safe then sorry.

Btw did you ever leak test that motor.