Head sealer

HillBillyES

May 23, 2015
SoCal
just got some work done by a builder he is advising me to use permatex head sealer on the head when sealing it up... What are yalls opinions on this?

You can even anneal the copper head gasket with a torch and reuse it.
NO SEALANT REQUIRED..

real curious why he told you that ?

Ultra copper or yamabond applied thinly with a plumbing flux brush at all gasket surfaces of the intake/reeds, allowed to cure overnight before leakdown testing.

You can even anneal the copper head gasket with a torch and reuse it.
NO SEALANT REQUIRED..

real curious why he told you that ?

Ultra copper or yamabond applied thinly with a plumbing flux brush at all gasket surfaces of the intake/reeds, allowed to cure overnight before leakdown testing.

Yea I'm not sure I've NEVER used any sealer on anything that had gaskets... I thought that was the purpose of gaskets

Could he of told me that because he rechambered the head? I've never messed with a blaster or a copper head gasket but I'm assuming the copper is a crush gasket and meant for 1 maybe 2 installs

Could he of told me that because he rechambered the head?

hundreds of rechambered heads on here not running sealant.
my 165psi compression rechambered/modified KOR head....no sealant.
our resident sub 5sec. drag blaster probably running 180-200 psi KOR head....no sealant.

I seen you were told to check it by lapping it on flat glass/granite/wet sandpaper on your other forum.
that may tell if your builder saw something to suggest sealant ?
color the sealing surface with a black sharpie and give it a few swirls on the lapping surface will reveal any inconsitencies. unless he saw something to the cylinders sealing surface ?

or just assemble it, after 3 heat cycles and retorque of head/base bolts, check compression, and a leakdown test should reveal any leaks

as for the blaster head gasket, it's a crush style that can be reused if anealed (softened with heat),
although I've only done it once in a pinch, I mentioned it because it is possible.

The copper is used as a crush type gasket that needs absolutely no sealant of any type otherwise it's purpose is defeated.

hundreds of rechambered heads on here not running sealant.
my 165psi compression rechambered/modified KOR head....no sealant.
our resident sub 5sec. drag blaster probably running 180-200 psi KOR head....no sealant.

I seen you were told to check it by lapping it on flat glass/granite/wet sandpaper on your other forum.
that may tell if your builder saw something to suggest sealant ?
color the sealing surface with a black sharpie and give it a few swirls on the lapping surface will reveal any inconsitencies. unless he saw something to the cylinders sealing surface ?

or just assemble it, after 3 heat cycles and retorque of head/base bolts, check compression, and a leakdown test should reveal any leaks

as for the blaster head gasket, it's a crush style that can be reused if anealed (softened with heat),
although I've only done it once in a pinch, I mentioned it because it is possible.

My other forum I was told to lap it??? Never saw such a thing, which forum and which thread?

Edit: just went back I never read his full post... I doubt he noticed it needed lapping and didn't offer to do it, since he could of offered for more money...

This forum really needs to get on Tapatalk lol

we had tapacrap on our last version a few years back, then we switched to this xenforo software and it is fully moblie compatable as is, so we didn't see the need to pay for TT any longer. your actually the first to even mention it in quite a while.

we had tapacrap on our last version a few years back, then we switched to this xenforo software and it is fully moblie compatable as is, so we didn't see the need to pay for TT any longer. your actually the first to even mention it in quite a while.
As a frequent visitor to multiple sites Tapatalk works great... There is a free version for forums I believe, it just adds ads and they aren't even very noticeable...