Head mod and CFM air box jetting

blaster003

May 13, 2014
i just rebuilt my top end with a new oem cylinder with a la sleeve stock bore.
Stock carb my jetting before the rebuild was 300 main (rich side) and stock pilot and stock needle setting 1.5 turns out on the pilot screw. 500 elevation.
I run 32:1 castor 927 93 pump gas.

Mods before rebuild
-Boyeson ss reeds
-1/4 spacer
-fmf gold series power core 2
-stock air box no lid kandn filter outerwears
-Mild port work

Mods after rebuild
-same new reeds (same spacer)
-same exhaust
-same porting
-CFM air box uni 2 layer filter outerwears
-KOR head work

Should I worry about jetting or am I fine where I'm at? I would run a plug chop but I have no where to get up to 5th or 6th besides the road, and cops are called if I touch the curb with my bike.

Last edited:
Should I worry about jetting

definately needs checked. probably up 1-2 for the new CFM increased airflow.
head mod doesn't increase flow into or out of the engine, just drastically increases the burn rate/effeciency.

I have no where to get up to 5th or 6th besides the road

where do you ride it then ?
go there and do the plug chops ?

your only other choice is to jump up 2-3 main jet sizes until you feel it rich bog, then down 1 size.
thats taking a big chance though, unless very experienced at jetting.

main jetting should be after .....
1. float height
2. pilot jet/airscrew tuning for highest idle
3. needle clip settings using either the lower clip till it bogs then back up 1 clip position, or 1/2 throttle plug chops.
but the middle clip should be golden, as it has been on every stock carb/mods I've tuned

Reactions: OConnor Racing
310 main how does that look?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    603.6 KB · Views: 132
looks pretty good, but if temps drop 20/30 degrees tomorrow it'll be lean.
I like them slightly darker than that, this ain't the NHRA and we ain't racin for $.
rich = safe !

I think is real close, looks a like it could be a tad darker though ... This is all going on figures from a "proper plug chop" , ,,,,you have a mocha color up top and the same color at the base where it should be a concentrated dark/mocha ring at the base. Meaning a solid ring not fuzzy looking.. Much colder temps I would be cautious. ,, if when the temps rise another 20 or so, do another chop and post some pics.

I personally like to run a bit rich but I use a diff plug that resists fouling as easy .