Head Lift/Head Stud issue

Mr. em1

Jan 20, 2012
My Head is leaking and i went to tighten down the head studs and all of them are good except the one all the way in front it just keeps spinning and spinning and coming loose causing oil to leak out of the head and make it run like sh*t. What are you guys using for these studs on your 240 kits? I have had nothing but problems with this head lifting all the time. i just want to know the best/.easist way to fix it because i need to get it fixed so i can ride it a little and then i gotta sell it. thansk for any help in advance guys!

You have to determine if it's the nut ,stud or jug that has the stripped threads. If its the nut or stud, replace it. If its the jug, you will need a heli coil installed. It's a proses that adds a steel insert that acts as new threads .

You have to determine if it's the nut ,stud or jug that has the stripped threads. If its the nut or stud, replace it. If its the jug, you will need a heli coil installed. It's a proses that adds a steel insert that acts as new threads .

I had this done to my exhaust studs...works good..

hope ist just the nut or bolt then its an easy fix though.. blasterdemon covered everything really.. not much else to say

in that vid.....

he let the drill wobble, a serious no-no when re-tapping a hole, actually throwing that head across the table

suggested blowing metal shavings out of the hole with a compressor, but no mention of the dangers of that, like blowing shavings into your face/eyes,

he all but ripped the tap sideways as it unthread from the last couple new threads

way back when i was taught to drill and tap a hole, there was cutting oil involved, or at least some kind of oil/lubricant

maybe this was the new modern way ?

in that vid.....

he let the drill wobble, a serious no-no when re-tapping a hole, actually throwing that head across the table

suggested blowing metal shavings out of the hole with a compressor, but no mention of the dangers of that, like blowing shavings into your face/eyes,

he all but ripped the tap sideways as it unthread from the last couple new threads

way back when i was taught to drill and tap a hole, there was cutting oil involved, or at least some kind of oil/lubricant

maybe this was the new modern way ?

My bad. It was ment to give an idea of what I was talking about. I should of watched it first. Thanks .

My bad. It was ment to give an idea of what I was talking about. I should of watched it first. Thanks .

naw, you did good posting that so quick, and it does show how to do it, i was just adding some extra tipsI:I

Take the head off and determine what the problem is. If its the stud just replace it and go on about building your motor. If its the jug send it here, index. Tell him the problem your having and ask him to do a stud upgrade for a 240.

naw, you did good posting that so quick, and it does show how to do it, i was just adding some extra tipsI:I

I welcome any input or correction to the info I post in any thread because it's all about the other members getting the correct info to do there project .

yall dont got a sense of humor

That's not about our sense of humor. It's about the fact that pretty much all of us have bought rigged crap off of someone at one point or another and HATED it.

Add to that your several replies justifying your original statement and I'm disinclined to believe that you were joking about JB weld and about it being someone else's problem....

I'm with dakota, I'm steering far and wide of anything else you say/do/sell/or want to buy.

To the OP, you can do a helicoil yourself or send it to a machine shop/engine builder from this site. Either way, thread replacement is the way to correct the problem.