Hats off to Ken Occonnor Racing

Jul 13, 2011
I've had my blaster for a couple of seasons now and had many trials and tribulations with it being my first 2 stroke experience. I finally dialed in my pilot, main and needle. I can lay on the throttle all day long and not have to worry about burning up another piston. My friends and I planned an guys weekend up north for riding. Well all my friends now have big 4 stroke machines and on banshee. And here is me with my 222cc blaster. I just happen to come across a burnt up vitto's cylinder and head just prior to the trip. I had it re-sleeved and I got it back the night before we left. I slapped it on 4 hours before we left and got in 6 heat cycles. I took it out on the trails and it felt like it had just a little more power then the ported stocker. We had to fill up with 91 octane on the trail. After that it started to ping and detonate. I called up vitto's and they overnight-ed me a spacer plate and 3 base gaskets and a head gasket. I installed all of it and the power was gone. I was disappointed. I put my ken occonnor top end back on with two vitto's base gaskets. Rejetted the carb to a 55 pilot, DGH needle on the richest position and a 152 main. We went out for a ride. We had 9 miles of blacktop connecting route to get to the trail. The blaster was pulling harder then ever before. I was keeping up with a raptor 660 to the top of fifth gear. After that he would pull on me. Pretty impressive for a 222cc blaster. The raptor could not loss me on the tight trails of Lincoln county WI. The raptor rider qutoed "I can't shake ya!"
After talking to Ken and realizing that I would have to go to a different pipe, I've decided to sell the vitto's top end. I must have a 96 DB rated silencer with a spark arrestor. I got a warning from the cops on the last trip for aftermarket exhaust. Most counties require the rated silencer some only allow stock exhaust, sh*tty! The only one that I know of is the FMF Q series which I have on my machine. I don't believe that it will work with any other front pipe. Plus I don't want to spend another 500 plus on it between new exhaust and machining on the vitto's to make it work. My banshee project will satisfy my top speed and power needs. So if anyone is interested in it here is a link to the ebay ad. Blaster forum members get it for $375 shipped. Just contact me through here first.

88-06 240cc Vitto's Blaster Big Bore Kit | eBay

Last edited by a moderator:
look at that factory cut head on the vitos 240. No wonder you didnt feel any power increase, it would also be the reason of the DET!! adding the extra gaskets work fix the det but KILL ur compression. Low compression on a sh*tty stock chambered head dos sh*t the bed.

Yeah, I realized that after the fact. My squish was probably under .020 as well causing the detonations.

Ahhh so you got it figured out finally! I sure hope you leak tested it after all that switching! Don't forget to do a copmpression test on it while its fresh so you have a reference to go buy to determine when it's time to re-ring!

Ported stroke stock for the win!

Didn't have the ability to leak test it at the campsite. My plug looked great though. I will go through it again and replace the base and head gasket and leak test it.

I had to reuse the vitto's base and oem head gasket. I used a high temp silicone on both. I know that silicone will not hold up to gasoline. They will have to be replaced. I'm going to try using just one vitto's base gasket to get a little more compression versus the oem base gasket.

I am not keen on the idea of using a sealant on the head gasket, IMO it is a recipe for disaster.

Even a secondhand head gasket should be assembled dry.

I just picked up that you run 64:1 premix, is that because your bike is only half what it should be.

64:1 is not enough oil for a small air cooled motor!

Last edited:
I had to reuse the vitto's base and oem head gasket. I used a high temp silicone on both. I know that silicone will not hold up to gasoline. They will have to be replaced. I'm going to try using just one vitto's base gasket to get a little more compression versus the oem base gasket.

right onn yea you could probobly get away with cleaning the silicone off that head gasket and use a good base. Check that base gasket wit verniers to make use it will move any, Squish tests your set!

Vitto's recommended using a high temp silicone for the head gasket. Either way its coming back apart and getting the right gaskets and yamabond sealer.
I have been running 64:1 for over a year now with no problems. I just had my jug off and everything looked good.

Vitto's recommended using a high temp silicone for the head gasket. Either way its coming back apart and getting the right gaskets and yamabond sealer.
I have been running 64:1 for over a year now with no problems. I just had my jug off and everything looked good.

If it works go with it! I:I