Hard to start

Blasther328

Mar 27, 2019
Niles oh
bought a blaster a while back. Did a lot of repairs that were long over due. Went out riding and went through a lot of muck and mud. Changed the oil not long after but that was it. Hard to start ever since. This last time it idled for a while then just shut down. Any tips

TORS disconnected? Pre 03 three wire plug under hood
03-06 search forum, iirc cut/splice one wire
Just bought the tors eliminate kit! Carb is freshly cleaned.i was looking through thread for more useful info as I get ready to put fresh fluids and install this kit. Any wires I should be unplugging? I saw you said something on a three prong wire. Could you elaborate on that by any chance? Got it started last week ago but the rev was super high and it took 80 kicks

Just bought the tors eliminate kit! Carb is freshly cleaned.i was looking through thread for more useful info as I get ready to put fresh fluids and install this kit. Any wires I should be unplugging? I saw you said something on a three prong wire. Could you elaborate on that by any chance? Got it started last week ago but the rev was super high and it took 80 kicks
Make sure you file the flat for slide idle screw enough, otherwise it won’t hold slide up.
Under the hood , left side is the TORS brain box. Only thing with three wires going to it. Only have to unplug it. No cutting or splicing wires UNLESS you have an 03-06, then the brain is in the CDI. You’d have to search for that.
The high idle could have been the slide sticking. But my guess is an air leak, which WILL cause catastrophic engine failure.
Actually a leak down test is recommended routine maintenance. Real easy to do.

Reactions: Blasther328
Make sure you file the flat for slide idle screw enough, otherwise it won’t hold slide up.
Under the hood , left side is the TORS brain box. Only thing with three wires going to it. Only have to unplug it. No cutting or splicing wires UNLESS you have an 03-06, then the brain is in the CDI. You’d have to search for that.
The high idle could have been the slide sticking. But my guess is an air leak, which WILL cause catastrophic engine failure.
Actually a leak down test is recommended routine maintenance. Real easy to do.
Very good I’ll take a look and figure it out hopefully! Thank you!

The rev was super high before or after. You installed idle screw.if before high rev could be an air leak. Leakdown test could confirm or eliminate this

The rev was super high before or after. You installed idle screw.if before high rev could be an air leak. Leakdown test could confirm or eliminate this
It was fine before, I was just taking off carb to clean it. Reinstalled and messed with it for some stupid reason and now it’s super high

It was fine before, I was just taking off carb to clean it. Reinstalled and messed with it for some stupid reason and now it’s super high
Did you install a new cable ?see if you have slight play at thumb throttle.cable could be adjusted incorrectly.carb slide is installed correctly? sliding freely up and down with thumb throttle?

Did you install a new cable ?see if you have slight play at thumb throttle.cable could be adjusted incorrectly.carb slide is installed correctly? sliding freely up and down with thumb throttle?
Yeah but I’m doing this tors kit now and I’ll double check it all when I’m done.

Reactions: Slydog
It's always a good idea to make sure nothing hangs up after working on any part of the throttle before you start it:rolleyes:
She started right up. It still a smidge too high on idle. I backed the screw out pretty far to adjust the idle but I don’t think I can back it out any further or it’ll fall out in no time. Any recommendations? I put the cable in at the throttle box the right way I just don’t know how to release a little pressure off of it so it idles down? Any idea? Appreciate you man, thank you!

She started right up. It still a smidge too high on idle. I backed the screw out pretty far to adjust the idle but I don’t think I can back it out any further or it’ll fall out in no time. Any recommendations? I put the cable in at the throttle box the right way I just don’t know how to release a little pressure off of it so it idles down? Any idea? Appreciate you man, thank you!
Do you have a very slight touch of play at thumb throttle?cable should be adjustable at thumb throttle or some cases at carb end

Do you have a very slight touch of play at thumb throttle?cable should be adjustable at thumb throttle or some cases at carb end
Yeah I took the play out of it up by the throttle and she runs and idles with no issues! Just gotta figure a way to get that idle adjustment screw to stay put! The vibration sends it out in a hurry!

Yeah I took the play out of it up by the throttle and she runs and idles with no issues! Just gotta figure a way to get that idle adjustment screw to stay put! The vibration sends it out in a hurry!
Should have a spring or oring to keep resistance on it so it doesn't turn on its own