gsxr brake too stiff

I have done the gsxr rear brake swap on my blaster and it works but the peddle is really hard to push and it. the brakes are all or nothing and there s no play in it at all. with the foot peddle pressed it only moves like an eighth of an inch. im not sure what I did wrong. or is that just how they are?

the short pedal travel is just how they are, you gotta get used to not trying to push them down into the dirt like the cable brakes required.
they are not just off or on, practice applying very light pressure to just slow down and not lock them up.
while riding, reach down and use your finger to feel the small amount of pressure required to just slow down, then try to mimic that amount with your foot.
btw.....i can come to a full stop from wide open with just one finger.

did you get these from me or fab them yourself ?

no awk I fabbed them myself (but stole your idea as much as I could, ha). we re running a go kart axel. and the brake disk is way smaller than a blaster.

thats great you fabbed them yourself, i've always shared my fab tips pretty freely when asked, some just short of a full on DIY.

try the finger method i suggested above to feel how light of pressure is actually needed to apply the brakes without locking them, then try to do the same with your foot.
I actually had a guy biotch at me once because he couldn't ride with his foot on the brake pedal anymore,
took him a full day of riding to figure out his foot on the pedal was the reason it felt sluggish :)

hey awk I cant seem to find pictures of you set up on here anymore. my brakes still don't work on the blaster ( although I did the same gixsr brake on a mini quad and it works) im thinking that my brake lever is too long after the pivot point. making it so hard to push ill post a picture in the morning and maybe someone could let me know what they think

hey awk I cant seem to find pictures of you set up on here anymore. my brakes still don't work on the blaster ( although I did the same gixsr brake on a mini quad and it works) im thinking that my brake lever is too long after the pivot point. making it so hard to push ill post a picture in the morning and maybe someone could let me know what they think

first off, the rod into the master MUST be pushing exactly straight up into the master, that includes all directions.
front to back and side to side, look at it from all angles to insure it is, if not it will jam and not push up in completely and not pump enuf fluid.

or the system needs rebled, which requires the caliper off the bike and held upside down so the bleeders face upwards to allow all air out.
they are mounted that way on the gsxr's, but we flip them for on these blasters, that allows the crossover between the 2 pistons to trap air.
if that doesn't help, i'd suspect the master, i've had a few that just will not pump enuf fluid, or have crystallized fluid inside which can be cleaned out,
ordering another master is about the same price as a rebuild kit for them.

and yes, the pedal as i make them has very little travel, and i'm not sure why anyone wants 2-3 inches of pedal travel ? (just because thats what they're used to with the cable brakes ?)
1/2 - 1" does the job just as good, and keeps your foot up above the peg and out of harms way.
they work off of the amount of pressure applied, not how far you can push the pedal.
very slight pressure will slow you down, firm pressure to lock them up and stop.
either way, it beats standing on a cable brake pedal, pushing it 4-5 inches down and hoping to stop

bl.jpg
bl2.jpg
bl.jpg
bl2.jpg

from the lever pivot point to the master ive got about 10''. I think that might be the problem. the leverage is just too much

oh yeah, thats way too much, even with the 4" or so i use, they get very little pedal travel, but once you get used to not trying to push it down into the dirt as the cable brakes required, and just applying differing pressures for slow down to lock up, they work great.

here's what your looking for............

mount  a.jpg

but all is not lost, you do have the 2 brackets i use to mount the master, and what you did can just be unbolted and try again, i didn't get it right my first few tries either :)

Reactions: undergroundart