ground up build. need help and advise !

chevys9

Sep 14, 2013
so i bought a new to me 96(ithink) blaster the guy i got it from said it was ported and had a 3 mm crank. since i blew a hole in my other blaster i bought it up for 500. was told it had a fresh top end.... i drove it around for 2 days, decides to giver the old girl an oil chance bus she was stippied out so i pulled the motor and once i took and clutch cover off i noticed my drive gear nut was barly on and the cb gear wasnt hooked up.... so i took apart the top end and found tge rings wernt installed right... tge end gap was on the exhaust port and melted down the side of the piston...

it was ported and had a 3 mm crank tho ( thats still in good shape) but look to do a bottom end rebuild.what do i actually need i got a yamaha dealer close but they are complete idiots and wouldnt know the first thing about a 2 stroke

this is year/unless you have not looked for year yet:D
year calculater pic plus ex1 1 1.jpg

ive watched all kens videos they are amazing but what brands and stuff for the seals and does a seal kit come with all seal required and whatcrank bearing cluth ect..

Depends on the seal kit you get . Use Koyo Bearings and either Cometic or Oem Yamaha gaskets. The number listed above will have all that you need along with the best ones available. As far as clutch you need to be more specific,,,, springs, plates, fibers, etc, if your putting out some hp you may want a stiffer spring.. There are also some nice clutch mods you can do to supply the plates and such with some xtra fluid like they like.. also a shift star mod while you are in there..

ive been lookin at drive line clutchs i wwant a full clutch kit. does it matter if i got the hd 240 one. im lookig at gettin a 240 kit but wont be for a long time... and what are they clutch mods.... i know of the shift star and alright have that one done

I have a driveline and love it. As far as the clutch basket mod, it involves drilling holes in the fingers of the basket, to help lubricate the clutch fibers. Shift star mod is rounding the points on the shift star for easier shifting. There are videos on both.

that is great thanks a lot for the help ive also started stripping the frame and have it amost all the base metal. i really like the bare metal look would there be any way tp keep it like that and not rust out? i know there is clear coat but will that protect it enough?

It is about drilling the basket and clutch boss to aide in adding oil to the plates and fibers. Its around here somewhere I just cant find it..

what all do i need to order? just seals , and crank bearings. is there a way to orded trans bearings or are they reuseable....

all my partd come in tomorrrow they wanted 100 +just for crank bearing so i went with all balls racing bearing they are koyo come with the seals and are only 60$ got a full gasket and seal kit with it and all the c clips and lock washers for only 140 i was inpressed but when i split my cases my old crank bearing came out out and is still on the crank does any one know of a way to take it off without hurting the crank?