got my replacment piston today

hotrodjrod

Dec 27, 2007
Dayton Ohio
any suggestions/tips on installing it? The rings are already installed So im wondering what the best/easiest way is to put it into the cylinder and onto the rod at the same time. Thanks

hahaha yeah. MAKE SURE it goes in with the arrow on the dome of the piston facing forward. Or you will do like i did and blow it up and have to send it back to the machine shop and spend more money. In other words, take your time and don't get in a hurry!

Be sure to wrap a rag around the rod to prevent dropping the clip down in to the cases. Install the piston first, line up the rings with the pins and pre oil the cylinder before sliding it over the piston.

Also be sure to install the base gasket first.

Be sure to wrap a rag around the rod to prevent dropping the clip down in to the cases. Install the piston first, line up the rings with the pins and pre oil the cylinder before sliding it over the piston.

Also be sure to install the base gasket first.

When you put a new piston on, do you have to put an oil/gas mix in the bottom of the crank or just oil.

If so, how much of it?

I was wondering this as well. I noticed some oil looking residue in the bottom of the crank case, and wondered if there is supposed to be a certain amount of fluid down there or not?

Also, Pittboss, thank you. I think your the only one that in understanding what im asking for. I know what i "Need" to do, i just want the best way to do it. The rag idea, pre oiling, and installing the base gasket are things I may have not thought about, and could have cost me dearly!

Any more suggestions?

There is no need to put oil in the cases. The residue is fuel that hasn't been used yet. What I do is spray WD-40 or similar stuff so the rings will have some lubrication on them at start up. The best stuff is pre-mix oil if you have some sitting around.

If you take a cold compression reading be sure that you have some lubrication in the cylinder. If not you won't get a good reading. After break in the compression should read about 10lbs higher.

Try to not get oil on the base gasket.

and

Many rings are bevel'd make sure you have the bevel correct so the rings aren't upside down. It's a biotch to make 'em fit that way.

I use a rag and soak it in 2 stroke oil and wipe everything and pull it through the cyl. and I turn the motor over by hand with no compression (no spark plug) to get a good even film.

Then I do the pain and suffering of a good break in.

Oh yea, don't install the C clip with the gap in the clip at the notch. Miserable beggar to get off again if you ever have to.

A