Got Me a New Blaster Today

07EigerRider

Feb 23, 2009
Austintown, OH
Well, i got myself another blaster today. I paid 300 for it. He says the local Yamaha dealer said it needs a stator. Its, from what i believe, an 88. It has a full stock exhaust, rear hydros, a-arm guards, and thats all ive noticed so far. It was seized the first time i went to look at it. PO put some penetrating oil down there and let it sit and it broke loose. Here it is.
0705101929-01.jpg

0705101929-00.jpg

And heres a pic from when i went in the house, my nephew jumped on and was kicking it like hell trying to get it to start.
0705101924-00.jpg

Good deal man. Looks pretty clean and nice! Guess you decided against buying your old one back?

Good deal man. Looks pretty clean and nice! Guess you decided against buying your old one back?

Thanks. Yea, i figured i sold it for a reason, its time to build another one. Plus i dont have anywhere near $1300

nice man, welcome back I:I hey does your buddie chris still steal from people? lolol jk jk :eek: :eek:
Thanks man. And idk, i dont pay attention to his dealings anymore. lol

get out the trouble shooting skills and verify that the stator is the problem. just in case they were wrong

I dove into it a little bit today. It has spark, good spark. But it has no flywheel nut. Also, it wont fire. I turned the fuel on, its spilling out of the carb. I think the float is stuck. Ill check that tomorrow. Also, i tried putting some fuel in the cylinder to see if it would fire, but it didnt. Whats wrong? I havent been working on a Blaster in so long i forgot the signs and symptoms. Ill get into it more tomorrow, with the carb and whatnot. Also i think im going to tear the cylinder off and check out the cylinder and piston. May be time for a top end sooner than i thought, being as it was seized and all.

You need to check bore size, gouges or scrapes, taper, and out of roundness. There's a spec for each in the service manual but I can tell you, with the spec for piston to cylinder clearance stated as .002", there isn't much room to play. If there is basically any damage you'll need an overbore. You can hone and put it back together if the damage is slight but you're kind of taking it into your own hands if you do that.