gearing input

wncblaster

Jan 8, 2012
whats goin on guys
im running a 03 bored .080 over with wiseco top and bottom end brand new
graydon proline full exhaust
and 18" holeshot tires
tryin to find what would be the best gearing to run?

not hundred percent of what gears im runnin this second but 1-2 are ridiculously short.
and lacks on top end.

was wondering if anyone has any input on this topic.
much appreciated

You can start out with a 14 tooth front sprocket and see how that does for you. Running 20" rear tires would help out your top end to. If your going to stick with the 18's and the 14 tooth is not making you happy, you can change the rear sproket to.

i wanna say i have a a 13 front now, ill try the 14
i do alot of woods riding and lil bit of mx

gonna be setting it up to do hare scrambles come spring time, should i change the rear sprocket as well?

If you do a lot of woods ridding, 20" rear tires would give you better ground clearance . That in its self would help a lot on your top speed. You may want to drop back down to the 13 tooth front if you do 20". The 14 tooth with 20" could make acceleration feel weak with a stock motor. It would work better with some good power upgrades.

So 20" would be the best bet for woods and what not? ill be doing a lil bit of motorcross at some point, but mostly hare scrambles and woods riding. would 18" be good for motorcross?

So 20" would be the best bet for woods and what not? ill be doing a lil bit of motorcross at some point, but mostly hare scrambles and woods riding. would 18" be good for motorcross?

18's would be good for motorcross but would hinder you in the other type of ridding you want to do.

Get 20's best of both worlds. I have 22's a 14t front sprocket and just a piped filter and reeds and dont really feel that much bottom end loss. I ride really tight trails also.

Heaps of variables here.

18" are great matched with 12 or 13 front and 40 rear sprockets for MX.

20" with a 13 front and 40 rear sprocket seem good for tight trails and woods.

20" with a 14 front and 40 rear sprocket seem good where top speed is needed.

22" with a 12 or 13 front and a 40 rear is what I use when riding rough or rutty terrain.

As stated earlier the rear sprocket can be changed, this will give gearing within the range.

Do not fall into the trap of mixing chains and sprockets, an old chain on a new sprocket is a big no, no, and vice versa. A stretched chain on a new sprocket can stuff the sprocket within a few rides. An new chain on old sprockets will stretch very quickly due to the wear on the old sprockets. This is a no win situation.

Buy a set of sprockets and new chains, and swap them on for each application. This may seem a costly and time consuming process buy may save you many dollars down the track.

It may even save you a broken case, because mismatched sprockets/chains are renowned for breaking chains.

Heaps of variables here.

18" are great matched with 12 or 13 front and 40 rear sprockets for MX.

20" with a 13 front and 40 rear sprocket seem good for tight trails and woods.

20" with a 14 front and 40 rear sprocket seem good where top speed is needed.

22" with a 12 or 13 front and a 40 rear is what I use when riding rough or rutty terrain.

As stated earlier the rear sprocket can be changed, this will give gearing within the range.

Do not fall into the trap of mixing chains and sprockets, an old chain on a new sprocket is a big no, no, and vice versa. A stretched chain on a new sprocket can stuff the sprocket within a few rides. An new chain on old sprockets will stretch very quickly due to the wear on the old sprockets. This is a no win situation.

Buy a set of sprockets and new chains, and swap them on for each application. This may seem a costly and time consuming process buy may save you many dollars down the track.

It may even save you a broken case, because mismatched sprockets/chains are renowned for breaking chains.

He's a 100% right about the chain. Here's the proof.
Renthal - We Build Championships

Yeah, thats true. I didnt know it and i have a used chain and just threw on a 14t front sprocket and it is wore pretty bad after only a few rides.

dang that would add up quick, but i agree that mix matching is a horrible idea.
so ideally if i wanted to have a good mx and woods quad id have to get two sets of tires and two dif gear sets